WebDriver v2.21.0 & Safari

AnthonyK

Apr 12, 2012, 6:11:18 PM4/12/12
to Selenium Users
Folks,

just downloaded WebDriver v2.21.0 and added support for Safari to
my web driver manager code. When i try and start Safari e.g. driver =
new SafariDriver(), the Safari browser launches with the following
e.g......

SafariDriver requesting connection at ws://localhost:47992/wd

but then i get the following stack trace.....

Connected to the target VM, address: '127.0.0.1:50484', transport:
'socket'
browser : SAFARI
12-Apr-2012 22:59:43 org.openqa.selenium.safari.SafariDriverServer
start
INFO: Server started at http://anthony-PC:47992/
org.openqa.selenium.remote.UnreachableBrowserException: Could not
start a new session. Possible causes are invalid address of the remote
server or browser start-up failure.
Build info: version: '2.21.0', revision: '16552', time: '2012-04-11
19:08:45'
System info: os.name: 'Windows 7', os.arch: 'amd64', os.version:
'6.1', java.version: '1.6.0_23'
Driver info: driver.version: SafariDriver
at
org.openqa.selenium.remote.RemoteWebDriver.execute(RemoteWebDriver.java:
454)
at
org.openqa.selenium.remote.RemoteWebDriver.startSession(RemoteWebDriver.java:
140)
at
org.openqa.selenium.remote.RemoteWebDriver.<init>(RemoteWebDriver.java:
95)
at org.openqa.selenium.safari.SafariDriver.<init>(SafariDriver.java:
33)
at WebDriverManager.startDriver(WebDriverManager.java:233)
at
AdministratorSignInPageTests.setUp(AdministratorSignInPageTests.java:
60)
at
39)
at
25)
at
org.testng.internal.MethodInvocationHelper.invokeMethod(MethodInvocationHelper.java:
76)
at org.testng.internal.Invoker.invokeConfigurationMethod(Invoker.java:
525)
at org.testng.internal.Invoker.invokeConfigurations(Invoker.java:202)
at org.testng.internal.Invoker.invokeConfigurations(Invoker.java:130)
at
org.testng.internal.TestMethodWorker.invokeBeforeClassMethods(TestMethodWorker.java:
173)
at org.testng.internal.TestMethodWorker.run(TestMethodWorker.java:
105)
at org.testng.TestRunner.runWorkers(TestRunner.java:1147)
at org.testng.TestRunner.privateRun(TestRunner.java:749)
at org.testng.TestRunner.run(TestRunner.java:600)
at org.testng.SuiteRunner.runTest(SuiteRunner.java:317)
at org.testng.SuiteRunner.runSequentially(SuiteRunner.java:312)
at org.testng.SuiteRunner.privateRun(SuiteRunner.java:274)
at org.testng.SuiteRunner.run(SuiteRunner.java:223)
at org.testng.SuiteRunnerWorker.runSuite(SuiteRunnerWorker.java:52)
at org.testng.SuiteRunnerWorker.run(SuiteRunnerWorker.java:86)
at org.testng.TestNG.runSuitesSequentially(TestNG.java:1039)
at org.testng.TestNG.runSuitesLocally(TestNG.java:964)
at org.testng.TestNG.run(TestNG.java:900)
at org.testng.remote.RemoteTestNG.run(RemoteTestNG.java:110)
at org.testng.remote.RemoteTestNG.initAndRun(RemoteTestNG.java:205)
at org.testng.remote.RemoteTestNG.main(RemoteTestNG.java:174)
at org.testng.RemoteTestNGStarter.main(RemoteTestNGStarter.java:106)
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Executor has not been
started yet
at com.google.common.base.Preconditions.checkState(Preconditions.java:
145)
at
org.openqa.selenium.safari.SafariDriverCommandExecutor.execute(SafariDriverCommandExecutor.java:
123)
at
org.openqa.selenium.remote.RemoteWebDriver.execute(RemoteWebDriver.java:
432)
... 31 more
Disconnected from the target VM, address: '127.0.0.1:50484',
transport: 'socket'

Process finished with exit code 0

Anybody having similar problems or not?

Thanks
Ant

KenCK

Apr 12, 2012, 7:16:24 PM4/12/12
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com
Did you build and install the corresponding Safari extension? http://code.google.com/p/selenium/wiki/SafariDriver

Mike Riley

Apr 12, 2012, 7:41:02 PM4/12/12
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com
This may come as a shock to you, but not everyone is set up to build Selenium.  They download it and use it for the most part.  Where is the downloadable result of that build?

Mike

Web User

Apr 12, 2012, 7:43:06 PM4/12/12
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com
I am also Facing the same issue.....

SafariDriver requesting connection at ws://localhost:24015/wd

Thanks

Krishnan Mahadevan

Apr 12, 2012, 9:17:49 PM4/12/12
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com
Mike
I agree with you that not everyone is set up to build selenium. But then again SafariDriver is just now into Selenium. Moreover this involves Apple:). So I wouldnt be too surprised. If you remember IPhoneDriver which has been there for quite sometime still needs you to build the webdriver app from the selenium codebase before you can put it into the device or simulator and work with it (atleast that is how it was the last time Luke helped me work with it).

We also need to be a bit more flexible in terms of learning how to build all this stuff and then use it. Atleast in my opinion its a good learning excercise :)
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/selenium-users/-/gCDqT5LC4XAJ.

Thanks & Regards
Krishnan Mahadevan

David

Apr 12, 2012, 9:33:41 PM4/12/12
to Selenium Users
I'll take a look when I have time and help improve the docs/wiki, but
just wanted to mention this for the time being:

as far as I can recall when I built a basic Safari extension, you can
build Safari browser extensions using Safari browser itself (on
Windows, assume same for Mac), unless this one is a special one that
is more complex to build. Even the Apple developer docs show you how
to build with Safari browser, the docs are pretty good.

So at some point, perhaps we should enhance the wiki page with more
user friendly and/or alternate instructions on how to compile through
Safari browser (in dev mode).

And as I recall the "*.safari" file extension is just special use of a
zip file with different file extension.

The extension should be compilable on both Windows and Mac and can run/
install on either platform once compiled.

On Apr 12, 6:17 pm, Krishnan Mahadevan
<krishnan.mahadevan1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> >         at org.testng.TestRunner.**privateRun(TestRunner.java:**749)
> >         at org.testng.TestRunner.run(**TestRunner.java:600)
> >         at org.testng.SuiteRunner.**runTest(SuiteRunner.java:317)
> >         at org.testng.SuiteRunner.**runSequentially(SuiteRunner.**java:312)
>
> >         at org.testng.SuiteRunner.**privateRun(SuiteRunner.java:**274)
> >         at org.testng.SuiteRunner.run(**SuiteRunner.java:223)
> >         at org.testng.SuiteRunnerWorker.**runSuite(SuiteRunnerWorker.**java:52)
>
> >         at org.testng.SuiteRunnerWorker.**run(SuiteRunnerWorker.java:86)
> >         at org.testng.TestNG.**runSuitesSequentially(TestNG.**java:1039)
> >         at org.testng.TestNG.**runSuitesLocally(TestNG.java:**964)
> >         at org.testng.TestNG.run(TestNG.**java:900)
> >         at org.testng.remote.**RemoteTestNG.run(RemoteTestNG.**java:110)
> >         at org.testng.remote.**RemoteTestNG.initAndRun(**RemoteTestNG.java:205)
>
> >         at org.testng.remote.**RemoteTestNG.main(**RemoteTestNG.java:174)

David

Apr 12, 2012, 9:39:02 PM4/12/12
to Selenium Users
I wonder if it would also be appropriate or useful in the future to
submit this extension to Apple Safari extensions gallery (and related
third party Safari extension gallery websites), to better publicize
the extension. The binary would be hosted on Selenium project but
linked at the Apple gallery. Of course, it's up to Apple whether they
approve the submission.

But unlike iPhone case, there's no hacking/jail breaking involved for
this, it's just more of installing a developer extension/tool for
Safari, so I don't see why Apple would not approve such an extension.

Just my two cents. I have submitted an extension to Apple before and
they approved it. Though it can be a problematic to contact them to
have them update info or link to extension once approved and
submitted, should you make some updates that require updates (info
about extension or link to it), but that's less of a problem if you
provide those info on your site instead of all in the gallery page,
though for me at the time, I referenced a different website.

On Apr 12, 6:17 pm, Krishnan Mahadevan
<krishnan.mahadevan1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Mike
> I agree with you that not everyone is set up to build selenium. But then
> again SafariDriver is just now into Selenium. Moreover this involves
> Apple:). So I wouldnt be too surprised. If you remember IPhoneDriver which
> has been there for quite sometime still needs you to build the webdriver
> app from the selenium codebase before you can put it into the device or
> simulator and work with it (atleast that is how it was the last time Luke
> helped me work with it).
>
> We also need to be a bit more flexible in terms of learning how to build
> all this stuff and then use it. Atleast in my opinion its a good learning
> excercise :)
>

> On Friday, April 13, 2012, Mike Riley wrote:
> > This may come as a shock to you, but not everyone is set up to build
> > Selenium.  They download it and use it for the most part.  Where is the
> > downloadable result of that build?
>
> > Mike
>
> > On Thursday, April 12, 2012 4:16:24 PM UTC-7, KenCK wrote:
>
> > Did you build and install the corresponding Safari extension?
> >http://code.google.**com/p/selenium/wiki/**SafariDriver<http://code.google.com/p/selenium/wiki/SafariDriver>
>
> > On Thursday, April 12, 2012 3:11:18 PM UTC-7, AnthonyK wrote:
>
> > Folks,
>
> >      just downloaded WebDriver v2.21.0 and added support for Safari to
> > my web driver manager code. When i try and start Safari e.g. driver =
> > new SafariDriver(), the Safari browser launches with the following
> > e.g......
>
> > SafariDriver requesting connection at ws://localhost:47992/wd
>
> > but then i get the following stack trace.....
>
> > Connected to the target VM, address: '127.0.0.1:50484', transport:
> > 'socket'
> > browser : SAFARI
> > 12-Apr-2012 22:59:43 org.openqa.selenium.safari.**SafariDriverServer
> > start
> > INFO: Server started athttp://anthony-PC:47992/
> > org.openqa.selenium.remote.**UnreachableBrowserException: Could not
> > start a new session. Possible causes are invalid address of the remote
> > server or browser start-up failure.
> > Build info: version: '2.21.0', revision: '16552', time: '2012-04-11
> > 19:08:45'
> > System info: os.name: 'Windows 7', os.arch: 'amd64', os.version:
> > '6.1', java.version: '1.6.0_23'
> > Driver info: driver.version: SafariDriver
> >         at
> >https://groups.google.com/d/msg/selenium-users/-/gCDqT5LC4XAJ.
> > .

Luke Inman-Semerau

Apr 12, 2012, 11:58:01 PM4/12/12
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com
For those who don't care to checkout the whole source and build it themselves... I've uploaded the build of it here:

You will still need to follow the instructions on the wiki (signing up for the apple developer program and loading it into safari). You will also need to 'unzip' this file.

I've marked it as depricated because I didn't ask anyone else if they thought it was ok for me to upload the file. So... if they don't approve it will be removed in the near future, if they do the deprication will be removed and it will be visible by default on the downloads page ( http://code.google.com/p/selenium/downloads/list )

As please keep in mind this Driver is BRAND new... better and more automatic ways of getting this running are being looked into, look for release notes on that in the future (no, i don't know when...)

-Luke

AnthonyK

Apr 13, 2012, 3:51:45 AM4/13/12
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Guys,

   thanks for the responses, i've downloaded the extension so i'll go and try to figure out how to build etc from the wiki. I looked at the wiki and signed-up to apple etc before v2.21.0 became available but i thought the wiki for purely the developer of the extension documenting his efforts!

The wiki for me is not good enough, normally i can decipher and figure this stuff out but for this i could'nt....i'll try and figure out from the wiki again and try and build the extension in etc.

Thanks again for the feedback.....is there a doc link somewhere that i can use to figure out how to build selenium? I wouldnt mind getting involved in some of the development effort, even if it were simple enough bug fixes etc.

Thanks
Ant

Luke Inman-Semerau

Apr 13, 2012, 4:04:22 AM4/13/12
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com
http://code.google.com/p/selenium/wiki/GettingInvolved

http://code.google.com/p/selenium/wiki/ReleasingSelenium   (don't worry you don't have the credentials to *actually* release something, this just shows you how to fully build the same artifacts that you use every day).

and of course each browser driver has it's own wiki page:

of course there's a whole lot more to read too:

if you really want real-time help with building / contributing, come to the IRC channel #selenium on freenode.net

Thanks
Ant

AnthonyK

Apr 13, 2012, 5:18:17 AM4/13/12
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Luke,

      ok, i got it working by using the link you gave me to the extension zip and by generating a cert and then installed it by using the extension build in the browser...happy days!

If we can have the extension zip with every build it would make things easier :)

Thanks again
Anthony

Steve McKinney

Apr 24, 2012, 9:28:47 AM4/24/12
to Selenium Users
This a good link that describes how to download the selenium
repository and compile the extension

http://watirwebdriver.com/safari/

It compilation works on both OSX and Windows however having an issue
getting the compiled extension to work on the latter.

David

May 4, 2012, 8:24:59 PM5/4/12
to Selenium Users
On a side note, except for possible spamming of a wiki page, it would
have been helpful if the SafariDriver and other Selenium wiki pages
allowed comments from (registered) users. This way, others can help
clarify and add info about particular wiki topic rather than exernally
via thread posts like these.

As Anthony mentions, the current SafariDriver wiki documentation is a
bit lacking in clarity and could use some improvement. But only the
core developers with access can update the page. And no one can add
comments to clarify or extend the info.

David

May 4, 2012, 8:28:55 PM5/4/12
to Selenium Users
Steve, what issue are you having on Windows with the compiled
extension?

Ross Patterson

May 8, 2012, 10:14:05 AM5/8/12
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com
We stopped allowing comments on the wiki pages some time ago, because there had almost never been a useful comment. Most of them were either requests for help, which should have been directed to this list, or wrong information, which we don't want in the pages. You can always post to this list (or, if the topic is appropriate, to selenium-developers) and offer a suggestion, and we'll update the page accordingly.

The SafariDriver itself is relatively new, and I'm sure the primary author(s) would appreciate your comments.

Ross

David

May 8, 2012, 4:52:50 PM5/8/12
to Selenium Users
I have some thoughts for improving the SafariDriver wiki page (content
here and there within the page). But I think the best update is to
provide a precompiled Safari extension that others can just install
and start trying the code. Why waste time trying to build it. Once
built/packaged, it can be distributed for others to install w/o having
to do the compile process themselves. After all, the rest of the
selenium software comes prepackaged as JARs files or downloadable
bindings (via distribution channel of platform). I have a compiled
version I can unofficially distribute for those interested.

Also wanted to mention that I compiled on Windows and got it working
on Windows and Mac from same compiled extension used to do the
install.

Luke Inman-Semerau

May 8, 2012, 5:32:06 PM5/8/12
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com

David

May 8, 2012, 7:34:59 PM5/8/12
to Selenium Users
Luke, that's what I used to compile the extension, but that's not
complete, that just gives you the source files grouped together. One
could actually grab them from SVN (I believe w/o needing to checkout
the whole trunk tree if you know how to work the extension hierarchy).

What I mean is to actually have it compiled and the user just clicks
install to install it, without having to install Apple Safari
certificate and all that. You can actually do that in Safari Extension
builder by clicking build (package) instead of install and it outputs
a "filename.safariextz" file. You can then distribute that to anyone
who wants to install the extension (they don't need the certificate,
your extension is now "signed" with your certificate already and part
of the compiled package). Users install via double-click or drag&drop
to (or open with/from) Safari to install (they get an install prompt).
Once installed (no "install finished" prompt appears) you can check
that it shows up in preferences > extensions and shows as enabled.

Think of the compiled safariextz file the same as a compiled JAR or
binary.

Frankly, I don't see the point in having all Selenium users who want
to use SafariDriver to sign up for Apple accounts and get
certificates. A needless step and generating a bunch of Apple dev
accounts for not much use besides this.

Jim Evans

May 8, 2012, 10:18:43 PM5/8/12
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com
You've hit upon one of the exact reasons for not distributing a compiled version of the extension: the project does not yet have an authorized-by-Apple certificate with which to sign the extension. Our status as an open-source project means we've had to jump through some extra legal hoops with The Powers That Be, though I'll be the first to admit I'm not an authority on the politics of the Safari driver. I'm not sure I'd want to release the extension signed with my personal certificate, and I'm not sure any of the other Selenium contributors would want to do so either. People have been clamoring for a Safari driver for so long, that the prevailing wisdom was that maybe we should make available whatever we had, in whatever state it was in. Maybe that's not good enough. We'll get to the point where we have a compiled version of the extension available, maybe even distributed within the Selenium jars. We'll get to the point where things are more seamless, but I'd ask for a little patience until we're actually able to do so.

--Jim

David

May 9, 2012, 3:08:26 AM5/9/12
to Selenium Users
Ok, thanks for the update Jim. Where in the process is it stalled with
Apple? Be good to get more insight into this.

Do you really need a certificate issued by Apple or generating via the
Developer Certificate Utility will suffice, as long as done via Safari
Developer program account (for company rather than an individual) and
done with/by someone with legal rights to make agreements with Apple?
That's kind of all I can gather by looking over these pages:

https://developer.apple.com/support/safari/enrollment.html

https://developer.apple.com/support/safari/developer-certificates.html

Has Selenium project at least started a Safari Developer program
signup as a "company" rather than an individual and then now or later
add contributing members into the group (not sure if they get their
own Apple IDs or not). I would venture, a lead developer or the
founder can do the signup, per the page mentioned above.

Mark Collin

May 9, 2012, 3:49:18 AM5/9/12
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com
Therein I would guess lies the problem. Selenium is an open source project,
not a company so there is nobody who can make a legal agreement with Apple
unless they want to do it on an individual basis.
"Selenium Users" group.

Ross Patterson

May 9, 2012, 8:35:29 AM5/9/12
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com
As I said, the SafariDriver is relatively new - the first commit was less than two months ago, and 2.21 is the first release to have it. You can reasonably expect the process to improve to the level of the more mature external drivers like OperaDriver and ChromeDriver. If you really want to use SafariDriver today, you're on the leading edge of the Selenium Project. The price of that leading-edge access is painful processes, and features that may not work reliably. I suggest you trust in the folks who are working on the code, that their goal is exactly what you want.

Good to hear you can build it and are willing to share, for those of us who aren't prepared to do that. Thanks!

Jim Evans

May 9, 2012, 9:08:04 AM5/9/12
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com
As I said, I'm not an authority on what the hoops are, or exactly what the holdup is. I believe (someone else on the dev team who's more plugged in than I, please correct me) we have applied for an account for the project as an organization. My understanding is that we are waiting for movement from Apple, but I don't know exactly what, and my understanding is likely to be wrong.

tl;dr: We've done what we're supposed to do, and now we're waiting on Apple. For more detail than that, somebody else will have to speak up.

Akuffo, Kwame

May 9, 2012, 11:51:12 AM5/9/12
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Will webdriver work with JWebUnit?

On 9 May 2012 14:08, Jim Evans <james.h....@gmail.com> wrote:
As I said, I'm not an authority on what the hoops are, or exactly what the holdup is. I believe (someone else on the dev team who's more plugged in than I, please correct me) we have applied for an account for the project as an organization. My understanding is that we are waiting for movement from Apple, but I don't know exactly what, and my understanding is likely to be wrong.

tl;dr: We've done what we're supposed to do, and now we're waiting on Apple. For more detail than that, somebody else will have to speak up.

Kwame Akuffo
Chief Technology Officer

Nitin Rajpal

Oct 24, 2012, 2:10:00 PM10/24/12
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I have installed and den also its not working. Its throwing
"SafariDriver requesting connection at ws://localhost:८१३८/wd".

Please tell what am i missing?

Paul Grubb

Oct 25, 2012, 3:40:10 PM10/25/12
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com
I followed the prescribed procedure to get my Selenium test suite running on a Safari 6 environment (Mountain Lion), and it works.  I then took the same steps to try to run my test suite on a Safari 5 environment (Snow Leopard), and it hangs with the "SafariDriver requesting connection at ws://blahblahblah" message.  I'm running as a node of a remote hub, and the error message that pops up in the node console says:

java.util.concurrent.ExecutionException: org.openqa.selenium.WebDriverException: java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
Build info: version: '2.25.0', revision: '17482', time: '2012--07-18 21:08:56'
System info: os.name: 'Mac OS X', os.arch: 'i386', os.version: '10.6.8', java.version: '1.6.0_37'
Driver info: driver.version: unknown

I checked out the selenium source, built the driver, created a signed certificate, specified an extension, and installed it.  Everything looks the same as the version I have up and running on Safari 6, but the Safari 5 version just isn't progressing.  Any suggestions on how to make forward progress?

Thanks!

- Paul

Paul Grubb

Oct 26, 2012, 2:38:57 PM10/26/12
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com
FYI, I was able to get it working by using the pre-compiled Safari extensions found here:  https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B5KGduKl6s6-ZGpPZlA0Rm03Nms/edit?pli=1&docId=0B5KGduKl6s6-c3dlMWVNcTJhLUk.  Apparently, the build of the source that I'd attempted had failed somehow.  At any rate, I am now running my test suite on both Safari 5 and Safari 6, so I'm happy.  :)

Thanks!

- Paul

David

Oct 26, 2012, 2:48:39 PM10/26/12
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com
Glad my precompiled extension helped. Those were compiled from source as well. Wonder what went wrong for you. Which branch did you pull source from?

The extension has to be built from same source branch as the WebDriver client binding you're using (if Java, that mean same JAR version). The wiki instructions only list the trunk latest build path to checkout. When you build the extension you have to replace the SVN path with the correct version branch, which you can browse for via the project's web based SVN repo. The extension build from trunk is probably best meant to be used with a WebDriver/JAR built from trunk as well (which is sorta greater than v2.25, the unofficial v2.26).

Mark Collin

Oct 28, 2012, 6:42:17 PM10/28/12
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com

It’s working for me in OSX 10.7.5 with Safari 6.0.1