Selenium Framework

ankit garg

Sep 29, 2016, 1:22:34 AM9/29/16
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I am new to selenium and trying to built/enhance some existing frameworks.
I am quite confused between Page object model,Maven project,TestNG(as a standalone)

Can some one please let me know which one to choose and what are the limitations of one over another?

Regards,
Ankit Garg

Nguyen Thai Hoang

Sep 29, 2016, 1:43:29 AM9/29/16
to Selenium Users
Hi, my framework have following components:
- TestNG
- Maven
- Selenium webdriver
- AutoIT, AutoITX
- SikuliX
- Maven Surefire plugin
- Appium
- Log4j
- Log4Net
- Jenkins (not implement yet)

Relate to your question, I suggest to use all (Page object model to manager your web objects, Maven for run TestNG Test suite)

⇜Krishnan Mahadevan⇝

Sep 29, 2016, 1:54:06 AM9/29/16
to Selenium Users
Ankit,

I would suggest that you please spend sometime on understanding the following :
  • Maven [ This is a build tool and has nothing to do with a framework. This is more of a way in helping you manage your CLASSPATH and do some extra other stuff as well ]
  • TestNG [ This is a TestRunner that is responsible for executing your automation tests. You can choose to piggy back on its capabilities (such as listeners ability to do things automagically behind the scenes, generating reports etc.,) or you can keep your framework completely neutral to anything.
  • Page Object Model - This is somewhat relevant to a UI automation framework because this is a concept of how you visualise your actual html pages so that your tests can interact with them in a Object oriented kind of fashion. The idea is to look at your actual html page as an object which contains within itself one or more html elements [ radio buttons, buttons, text boxes etc., ]
before you start thinking of building some frameworks.

There is no question here of any of these things having limitations over one another because all of them are totally disconnected and independent of each other.

Lastly before you think of re-inventing the wheel, I would suggest that you please spend some time exploring some of the well established open source automation frameworks that are already built and made available for usage. You would save a lot of time if you just adopted one of them.

Some of them :
There are still a lot more you can find, if you spend sometime searching for them [ Many of them are open-sourced and you can start using them right away ]

Thanks & Regards
Krishnan Mahadevan

Vikram

Sep 29, 2016, 11:43:55 AM9/29/16
to Selenium Users
+ 1 Serenity ( http://www.thucydides.info/#/ )

Using since last 3 years and works really well.

Regards,
Vikram