Donating the openqa.org domain

Patrick Lightbody

Dec 31, 2014, 2:11:53 AM12/31/14
to selenium-...@googlegroups.com
Team,

Over the years a number of projects have asked if I would be open to donating the openqa.org domain. Now that OpenQA is several years defunct, I’d like to get everyone’s opinion on the matter. My main concern in doing so is that several Selenium projects still have references to it (ex: org.openqa package), though I think at this point those packages have been deprecated for long enough that we’re OK.

Any concerns if we handed it over to another open source project? The two likely candidates would be OSQA[1] and openQA[2].

Patrick

Andreas Tolfsen

Dec 31, 2014, 6:09:56 AM12/31/14
to selenium-...@googlegroups.com
I have no particular opinion on the use of this domain.

On Sat, Dec 27, 2014 at 12:05 AM, Patrick Lightbody
<pat...@lightbody.net> wrote:
> My main concern in doing so is that several Selenium projects still have references to it (ex:
> org.openqa package), though I think at this point those packages have been deprecated for long
> enough that we’re OK.

I don't think the org.openqa.* namespace in Java was ever deprecated.
From what I can tell it's still in active use.

Jason Leyba

Dec 31, 2014, 11:47:40 AM12/31/14
to selenium-...@googlegroups.com
org.openqa.selenium is not deprecated and in active use. No reason we can't change the package for 3.0 (I've suggested this before).

Paul Hammant

Dec 31, 2014, 12:08:33 PM12/31/14
to selenium-developers
I think if you hand it over, you'd want to restrain their future usages of it:

1. A permanent, prominent, and respectful link to Seleniumhq.org.
2. Organization does not ship Selenium/WebDriver or derivations.  That's binaries, source, or documentation.
3. We get first refusal on subsequent or passing on of domain (incl sale), with a fixed price of $1 to regain it.

- Paul

David Burns

Dec 31, 2014, 2:51:23 PM12/31/14
to selenium-...@googlegroups.com

Simon Stewart

Jan 1, 2015, 3:24:15 PM1/1/15
to selenium-developers
The current package name for everything is "org.openqa.selenium", so we'd be giving control of the domain that selenium relies on to a third party. I'd be pretty nervous about that.

Simon

Simon Stewart

Jan 1, 2015, 3:27:01 PM1/1/15
to selenium-developers
If we introduce any ABI incompatible changes, we should probably change the package name (so that companies with a single source tree can have both versions concurrently), but changing the package for the sake of it doesn't offer any value to our users --- it just makes their lives harder since they'll need to update every script that they have. Even for a motivated company, it can take a significant amount of time to make that transition. For those lacking motivation, there's no chance of the Right Thing happening.

Simon

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/selenium-developers/CAChzDz%3DkVOTgyh9q3hLbY6QEXHWxG4L7TNVpLZOjVbQoRipUoA%40mail.gmail.com.

Patrick Lightbody

Jan 5, 2015, 2:02:36 AM1/5/15
to selenium-...@googlegroups.com
OK I think we have our decision. At this point probably the only thing we’d do is maybe add some prominent pointers to other projects with similar names, but still retain control of the domain and website ourselves.

Simon Stewart

Jan 5, 2015, 5:25:22 AM1/5/15
to selenium-developers
SGTM/ It'd be a nice gesture for us to redirect subdomains to the relevant projects. Not sure how easy to configure that would be, though.

Simon