Stepping down as maintainer

Jari Bakken

Jan 16, 2015, 12:56:35 PM1/16/15
to selenium-developers, watir-de...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I'm writing to let you know that I plan to gradually step down as a maintainer of the selenium-webdriver and watir-webdriver gems over the next couple of months.

I recently quit my job at FINN.no after close to 7 years, and I'll be doing a lot less browser automation and less Ruby in general going forward. I'd like to be able to focus completely on my new job when I start in April, so time has come to part ways with some of my open source commitments.

Contributing to WebDriver and Watir for the past 5+ years has been a fantastic learning experience and I'm grateful to the developers and the community for all the fun I've had working on these projects. Many of you I've had a chance to meet in person and it's been thoroughly enjoyable every time.

All the best,

Jari

Patrick Lightbody

Jan 16, 2015, 1:21:02 PM1/16/15
to selenium-...@googlegroups.com
I think it might be time to construct a Selenium Hall of Fame :)

Jari — thanks for all the great work. We’ll be sad to see you go but I think it’s smart to be clear with yourself and the community about your commitments. I wish I had done the same rather than just slowly fading away in to obscurity :)

I wish you the best of luck on the new job!

Patrick

David Burns

Jan 16, 2015, 2:36:08 PM1/16/15
to selenium-...@googlegroups.com, selenium-developers, watir-de...@googlegroups.com
Jari,

I am really sad to see you go! You have taught me a lot over the years and your tireless commitment to open source has moved so many projects forward.

I wish you the best of luck in your new job and make sure you visit us in the irc channel regularly!

David

Sent from Mailbox

Samit Badle

Jan 25, 2015, 8:05:39 PM1/25/15
to selenium-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jari,

It is sad to see you go. You have been amazing and a constant source of inspiration to me. I wish you all the success for the future.

Cheers,
Samit

Santiago Suarez Ordoñez

Jan 28, 2015, 12:48:34 AM1/28/15
to selenium-...@googlegroups.com, watir-de...@googlegroups.com
You will be missed, Jari. Your level of involvement and contribution will be hard to match. I'm sure you'll be taken with welcoming arms wherever you go.

I have no doubt we'll be sharing good steak (yes, the size of your head) and drinks in the future. Please don't forget to hit the IRC channel whenever you're in town.

Jari Bakken

Feb 3, 2015, 10:37:57 AM2/3/15
to selenium-developers, watir-de...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for all the kind words!

I'll definitely be around the IRC channel once in a while, and do my best to facilitate stake consumption whenever I'm close to any of you.

Simon Stewart

Feb 3, 2015, 4:45:57 PM2/3/15
to selenium-developers
Hi Jari,

I'm sorry to see you go, but I'm glad you're looking after yourself and being clear. It's been a pleasure working with you, and the commit bit will always be yours :)

I still remember the first hackathon when you joined us to throw together a Ruby client at an amazing pace. Since that day, I've always been impressed by the quality of your code, and the sheer speed you put it together. It's been a real pleasure working with you.

Good luck in your new job, and remember that you'll always have friends here!

Simon

Željko Filipin

Mar 26, 2015, 11:25:24 AM3/26/15
to watir-de...@googlegroups.com, selenium-developers
Hi Jari,

thanks a lot for everything you have done. I will join the group that offers you steaks and drinks the size of your head. :)

(Apologies for the late reply, I was traveling and I am still catching up on mail.)

Željko