FirefoxDriver's browser version support policy

Alexei Barantsev

Sep 3, 2015, 5:59:18 PM9/3/15
to Selenium Developers
Hi, devs,

We used to have "latest, latest-1, latest ESR, latest ESR-1" policy for native events support in FirefoxDriver.

Today on the IRC channel David Burns suggested to apply this policy to the Firefox browser support in general.

Arguments pro:
1) CI runs tests in this environments only, so we can't ensure the driver correctness in other versions.
2) Users tend to use new browser versions due to auto-updates.
3) The clients that want to run tests on older browser versions can use older Selenium version (we'll have to provide compatibility table).
4) This would allow to simplify the driver code and improve its maintainability.

Your opinion?

Regards,
--
Alexei Barantsev
Software-Testing.Ru

David Burns

Sep 3, 2015, 6:13:21 PM9/3/15
to selenium-...@googlegroups.com
+1 for supporting a small subset of Firefox.

This may shrink again when we switch over to Marionette but we can have that discussion at that point.

David

Jason Leyba

Sep 4, 2015, 12:24:18 AM9/4/15
to selenium-...@googlegroups.com
There's nothing to vote on here. The N, N-1, ESR, ESR-1 window has always applied to all Firefox support, not just native events. Here's the original thread (from 2012):

David Burns

Sep 4, 2015, 12:52:54 PM9/4/15
to selenium-...@googlegroups.com, selenium-...@googlegroups.com
Settled! Thanks for your awesome Google fu

Sent from Mailbox