webdriver on GCE(hadoop) fails to connect

Giovanni Grasso

Feb 25, 2015, 6:49:45 PM2/25/15
to selenium-...@googlegroups.com
Hi everybody,

I'm posting here as a last resort hoping that you that know how webdriver works can give me me some hint to solve the following issue I've been facing with no success.
Basically I'm running Webdriver (Firefox) in a Hadoop task on a cluster on Google Compute Engine (ubuntu 12.04 machines). I believe there is a silly network setting that I miss.
What happens is that:
My code runs with no issues on these machines outside hadoop.
The same code, when run within Hadoop, fails to connect to Firefox. I'm sure Firefox is started regularly and I can telnet it on 127.0.0.1:7055.
However, I have noticed that the error message doesn't refer to the ip 127.0.0.1 but rather to the eth0 ip of the machine e.g., 10.240.194.134 and I cannot telnet this ip on 7055.
So it seems that Webdriver tries to connect to 10.240.194.134:7055 failing while probably a connection on 127.0.0.1:7055 would be successfull.
Do you have any idea of what could be happening here?

Many thanks in advance for your time.
Gio

Andreas Tolfsen

Feb 28, 2015, 4:26:42 PM2/28/15
On 26 Feb 2015, at 00:49, Giovanni Grasso <giovann...@gmail.com> wrote:
> So it seems that Webdriver tries to connect to 10.240.194.134:7055 failing while probably a connection on 127.0.0.1:7055 would be successfull.
> Do you have any idea of what could be happening here?

Your error report is lacking details of which language binding and driver you try to connect to, but an educated guess is that WebDriver by default tries to use the non-loopback device.

Have you tried telling the WebDriver server to use the loopback device (127.0.0.1 or localhost, instead of 0.0.0.0)?

Giovanni Grasso

Mar 2, 2015, 5:48:09 AM3/2/15
to selenium-...@googlegroups.com
Hi thanks for your message and sorry for my poor description.

I'm using  Selenium-firefox-driver 2.43.1 on Java with Firefox 24 ESR. You mention Webdriver server but I'm not using the server version.
Can I still tell webdriver to use loopback device as you suggest? If so how? AFAIK, I'm running it with no modifications to defaults in this respect, and as I said my code runs fine on these machines when outside the hadoop environment. My suspect is that in this environment there is some network settings that changes the game forcing webdriver to connect to 0.0.0.0 but I can't figure out what.

Thank you