Java 7

Simon Stewart

Jun 9, 2015, 4:13:56 PM6/9/15
to selenium-developers
Hi everyone,

The last public update for Java 7 shipped in April this year. I've just bumped the version of Java targeted to be 7 for both Buck and CrazyFun builds --- if someone's still using Java 6 as their primary Java version, it's unlikely they're tracking Java releases.

So, you know, go wild with those Java 7 APIs.

The second thing: Buck supports setting the bootclasspath when compiling code. This makes it Really Easy for us to start using Java 8 on our dev machines, but still be sure that selenium will run properly on Java 7 (that is, a shocking number of "enterprise" java shops).

The downside: the diff to do this weighs in at ~17MB, even with stub jars. I don't think we'll need to update those definitions until we make the jump to Java 8, which (given the slow uptake of modern Java versions) will be when Java 8 is ancient, so it's no worse than the cumulative effect of a few library updates....

Simon