merge in github

Luke Inman-Semerau

May 2, 2016, 10:32:56 AM5/2/16
to selenium-...@googlegroups.com
I've started trying out using the github merge button for the selenium project, because not it does what we want it to do (squash / rebase).  (65a6604a89d9f6746f629cf76a3e7431f4daa3f7)

The slight difference to our workflow that we did before is it does not amend the commit with a signoff. However it does put the merger as the "Owner" of the commit.

In the github UI one can see the Owner as the smaller icon imposed on the bottom right corner of the "Author" image of the commit.

Command line `git log` does not show the Owner by default. If you would like to see that also you need to do `git log --pretty=fuller`  or you can set the fuller format by default in your git config `git config --global format.pretty fuller`

If you have concerns feel free to chime in.

-Luke

⇜Krishnan Mahadevan⇝

May 3, 2016, 12:24:06 AM5/3/16
to selenium-...@googlegroups.com
Luke,

I was just curious to know, how did you deal with GitHub Merge button introducing the merge bubble commits when you accept PRs by clicking on the Merge button ?

I looked at the commit history and it shows a very nice straight line, but in other projects wherein they are using the merge button [ atleast I would like to think so], I don't see that straight line [ I was thinking that the selenium committers were explicitly ensuring that the deliveries are always fast forward merges by rebasing the PR branch if required ].

the commit history from another project which I think relies on the merge button for accepting PRs.

Inline image 1

The commit history from Selenium [it still looks like a straight line ]

Inline image 2

I was hoping you could please help share how this was done.

Thanks & Regards
Krishnan Mahadevan

Luke Inman-Semerau

May 3, 2016, 11:32:52 AM5/3/16
to selenium-...@googlegroups.com
github.com released a secondary merge functionality:

I don't believe it has hit github enterprise yet (at least not for me)