Switching the canonical source repo

Andreas Tolfsen

Feb 28, 2015, 4:38:22 PM2/28/15
to selenium-...@googlegroups.com
By this point I think it should be a noncontroversial decision to move our canonical source repository to Github, considering Google Code is now practically dead.

The last time we discussed this, I was staunchly defending not making the transition and for us to stay on GC. The strongest arguments were that it worked (we'd gain nothing from moving) and that it would be non-trivial to bring our existing bug tickets over.

I think it's fair to say that most open issues are irrelevant either by age or deprecation, and that if we did decide it would be a good idea to keep some of the open issues, it would be easier to file new ones manually.

One of the primary motivations for me personally for wanting this is to more easily be able to categorise and visualise open issues, to encourage new contributors to take on easy assignments.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on this. If we reach consensus I'm volunteering to carry through the implementation of this.

Luke Inman-Semerau

Feb 28, 2015, 4:46:50 PM2/28/15
to selenium-...@googlegroups.com
+1

Paul Hammant

Feb 28, 2015, 5:08:54 PM2/28/15
to selenium-developers
Many of us with Codehaus projects are facing the same set of problems.  Could we Wget-scrape the issues from GoogleCode and check them into a Github-Pages repo for posterity?

Andreas Tolfsen

Feb 28, 2015, 5:18:41 PM2/28/15
On 28 Feb 2015, at 23:08, Paul Hammant <pa...@hammant.org> wrote:
> Many of us with Codehaus projects are facing the same set of problems. Could we Wget-scrape the issues from GoogleCode and check them into a Github-Pages repo for posterity?

I think we should do this, if only for archival purposes.

Obviously the same goes for all of our wiki content.

Jason Leyba

Feb 28, 2015, 11:04:36 PM2/28/15
to selenium-...@googlegroups.com
Google Code provides a tool for exporting issues to GitHub:
https://code.google.com/p/support-tools/wiki/IssueExporterTool

Since there are bug references in our code, it'd be nice if we could preserve history.

Andreas Tolfsen

Mar 12, 2015, 1:00:54 PM3/12/15
to selenium-...@googlegroups.com
So it looks like Google finally decided it was time to close Google Code down: http://google-opensource.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03/farewell-to-google-code.html

This obviously puts this discussion in a different light. Per Jason's request, I'm willing to step up to do the migration to Github. As we don't know what unexpected issues we will run into, I'd like to move forward with this as soon as possible.

Google has provided an exporter tool that can help us, which is nice of them: https://code.google.com/export-to-github/

Chris Smith

Mar 12, 2015, 1:18:01 PM3/12/15
to selenium-...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I'm an engineer at Google and responsible for the Issue Export tool. I'll admit it isn't perfect, but it should allow you to export all of your issue data to GitHub. If you have any problems, please log an issue in the /p/support-tools issue tracker, or contact me directly.

Cheers,
-Chris