Publishing selenium on Homebrew, DockerHub ...

François-Xavier Gentilhomme

Sep 27, 2016, 3:38:08 PM9/27/16
to Selenium Developers
Hi! I'm currently building a test environment based on Docker + Selenium and some devices. During my investigations, I figured out that I need the latest selenium version (i.e. 3.0.x) to run automated tests on Safari.
I'm not confident with MacOS, so I was looking out some easy way to install the package on a mac, and I found a topic about Homebrew (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/18868743/how-to-install-selenium-webdriver-on-mac-os).
But the version installed with it is not up-to-date at all, it's a 2.45.0.
So I would like to know if somebody is working on an automated way (e.g. a post-build script) to publish the latest build of selenium, or if it is on a todo-list or something like that.

Luke Inman-Semerau

Sep 27, 2016, 4:06:50 PM9/27/16
to selenium-...@googlegroups.com
Others have developed easy deploy for selenium. But usually we avoid doing so as there's already mechanisms to do so.

But in particular here with the standalone server, there's nothing to "install". So the homebrew recipe doesn't make sense to us. You install java. You download selenium-server-standalone and run it with java. So installing can be as easy as a curl command?

My personal opinion is to not auto-update tooling I require when doing development. I prefer distinct upgrades to help identify where regressions may be occurring.

This is not to say others won't be attempting to do this, but I don't believe any project members are planning on doing anything further with our distribution of releases.