Redirect Google Code Docs to Github Docs?

da...@arrgyle.com

Aug 18, 2015, 10:54:58 AM8/18/15
to Selenium Developers
Had a good question come across @SeleniumHQ earlier today (link).

Any reason not to 301 the old Google Code docs to the generated docs on GitHub?

Cheers,
Dave H

Luke Inman-Semerau

Aug 19, 2015, 4:07:04 PM8/19/15
to selenium-...@googlegroups.com
A few things happening here why it isn't a simple answer.

Google Code 'shutdown' for a project is basically an all or nothing.
Meaning when we finally flip the bit and say to Google Code that we
want them to redirect to Github instead, we will lose the ability to
access EVERYTHING. including old bug reports.

The second, essentially conceivable thing to do would be to re-write
the html 'docs' that are in the git repo on google code and have them
(via javascript) redirect the user to the new github equivalent page.
Problem here is we'd need to get a special dispensation from Simon to
allow us to 'fork' the google code repo. Essentially it is sitting in
the past from github and we don't want to diverge the repos. And I
can't just push the "new" changes from github to the google code
repo... because well, the generated docs no longer are in the same
place and would be essentially like deleting them from google code,
with no chance to put in a type of 'redirect' in the html pages.

so, um... yeah. I'm not sure what to do other than wait for the day we
finally do the "kill our project and redirect all the things" button.

Dave Haeffner

Aug 24, 2015, 8:47:22 AM8/24/15
to selenium-...@googlegroups.com
Bummer. Thanks Luke.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Selenium Developers" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/selenium-developers/CAL97Zu79KCSdNCRpsgnabpdFp4uuHhuERWXKWtH8PmU_5QHNug%40mail.gmail.com.

Cheers,
Dave H