Issue 1797 in selenium: New ChromeDriver - WebDriverException: Timed out waiting for ChromeDriver server to start.

sele...@googlecode.com

Jun 8, 2011, 1:31:42 PM6/8/11
to selenium-deve...@googlegroups.com
Owner: ----
Labels: Type-Defect Priority-Medium

New issue 1797 by ericrgl...@gmail.com: New ChromeDriver -
WebDriverException: Timed out waiting for ChromeDriver server to start.
http://code.google.com/p/selenium/issues/detail?id=1797

What steps will reproduce the problem?
1. Downloaded Selenium Java client and server 2.0rc2
2. Set System property webdriver.chrome.driver
to "${env_var:HOMEPATH}/Local Settings/Application
Data/Google/Chrome/Application/chrome.exe" in the Eclipse Run Configuration
for running JUnit 4 that ran before the upgrading to the newer ChromeDriver
3. Tried to run the Selenium 2 test script with the new ChromeDriver with
no changes to our Java code, which starts as follows:
WebDriver driver = new ChromeDriver();
Selenium selenium = new WebDriverBackedSelenium(driver, getRootURL());
4. The Google Chrome browser window is opened
5. In the console get the following messages:
Jun 8, 2011 1:00:22 PM org.openqa.selenium.net.UrlChecker waitUntilAvailable
INFO: Waiting for http://localhost:17579/healthz
Jun 8, 2011 1:00:22 PM org.openqa.selenium.net.UrlChecker$1 call
INFO: Polling http://localhost:17579/healthz
6. The INFO: Polling messages keep on repeating until the following
exception is thrown:
WebDriverException: Timed out waiting for ChromeDriver server to start.

Would expect the Selenium 2 test script to run with the Google Chrome
browser as it did before the newer version of the ChromeDriver.

- Selenium Java client and server 2.0rc2 with current ChromeDriver.java and
ChromeDriverService.java changes from the trunk
- Windows XP Professional 2002 SP 3
- Java 1.5.0_10-b03
- Google Chrome 12.0.742.91

I downloaded the source of both ChromeDriver.java and
ChromeDriverService.java into my Eclipse workspace project and did some
debugging. I also did some research into the Google Chrome command line
switches; and found the really good resource at:
http://www.ericdlarson.com/misc/chrome_command_line_flags.html
I did not see the command line switch (--port) that is being used in the
ChromeDriverService.java constructor. I did try the command line switches
(--remote-shell-port) and (--remote-debugging-port). With the command line
switch (--remote-shell-port) I was able to open the Google Chrome browser
and communicate with it with another HTTP client. I did look into the
Chrome Development Tools for Java page
(http://code.google.com/p/chromedevtools/) and tried the Eclipse plug-in to
see the communications from a client to the Google Chrome browser started
with the command line switch (--remote-shell-port). For right now we are
backing out the new ChromeDriver that is in the Selenium 2.0rc2 deployment
until we know that it will work with the Google Chrome browser properly.

sele...@googlecode.com

Jun 8, 2011, 2:03:00 PM6/8/11
to selenium-deve...@googlegroups.com
Updates:
Owner: jmleyba
Labels: Browser-Chrome

Comment #1 on issue 1797 by jmleyba: New ChromeDriver - WebDriverException:

Timed out waiting for ChromeDriver server to start.
http://code.google.com/p/selenium/issues/detail?id=1797

It's not timing out starting chrome, it's timing out starting the
chromedriver server. This is a separate executable you need to download:

http://code.google.com/p/selenium/downloads/list

Once you've downloaded the server, either set the webdriver.chrome.driver
system property to the *directory* containing the server (/foo/bar/ *not*
/foo/bar/chromedriver.exe). Instead of setting the system property, you
can also just update your PATH.

sele...@googlecode.com

Jun 8, 2011, 2:53:08 PM6/8/11
to selenium-deve...@googlegroups.com

Comment #2 on issue 1797 by ericrgl...@gmail.com: New ChromeDriver -
WebDriverException: Timed out waiting for ChromeDriver server to start.
http://code.google.com/p/selenium/issues/detail?id=1797

Sorry, did not know we had to download this server for the new
ChromeDriver. I was trying to run the scripts the way we were with the
earlier version of the ChromeDriver that was in the earlier versions of the
Selenium 2 JAR. Thanks for the understanding and the information!

sele...@googlecode.com

Jun 8, 2011, 3:04:55 PM6/8/11
to selenium-deve...@googlegroups.com
Updates:

Comment #3 on issue 1797 by jmleyba: New ChromeDriver - WebDriverException:

Timed out waiting for ChromeDriver server to start.
http://code.google.com/p/selenium/issues/detail?id=1797

You can find more information about using the ChromeDriver on the wiki:
http://code.google.com/p/selenium/wiki/ChromeDriver

sele...@googlecode.com

Jun 8, 2011, 3:41:41 PM6/8/11
to selenium-deve...@googlegroups.com

Comment #4 on issue 1797 by ericrgl...@gmail.com: New ChromeDriver -
WebDriverException: Timed out waiting for ChromeDriver server to start.
http://code.google.com/p/selenium/issues/detail?id=1797

I have downloaded the pre-built ChromeDriver Server for Windows 32 and
followed the instructions on the wiki as you instructed, so the code looks
like the following to instantiate the ChromeDriver and open the Google
Chrome browser.
System.setProperty("webdriver.chrome.driver",
"C:/source/webtest/browser-drivers/chromedriver_win32_13.0.775.0");

WebDriver driver = new ChromeDriver();

I am now getting this error, any ideals?

java.lang.IllegalStateException: The webdriver.chrome.driver system
property defined chromedriver executable is a directory:
C:\source\webtest\browser-drivers\chromedriver_win32_13.0.775.0
at com.google.common.base.Preconditions.checkState(Preconditions.java:172)
at
org.openqa.selenium.chrome.ChromeDriverService.createDefaultService(ChromeDriverService.java:98)
at org.openqa.selenium.chrome.ChromeDriver.<init>(ChromeDriver.java:87)
at
com.sherwin.corp.ehrs.rmif.web.selenium2.RMIFWelcomeChrome.createWebDriverInstance(RMIFWelcomeChrome.java:15)
at
com.sherwin.corp.ehrs.rmif.web.selenium2.AbstractRMIFTestCaseBase.startSelenium(AbstractRMIFTestCaseBase.java:31)
at
at
at
org.junit.runners.model.FrameworkMethod$1.runReflectiveCall(FrameworkMethod.java:44)
at
org.junit.internal.runners.model.ReflectiveCallable.run(ReflectiveCallable.java:15)
at
org.junit.runners.model.FrameworkMethod.invokeExplosively(FrameworkMethod.java:41)
at
org.junit.internal.runners.statements.RunBefores.evaluate(RunBefores.java:27)
at
org.junit.internal.runners.statements.RunAfters.evaluate(RunAfters.java:31)
at
org.junit.runners.BlockJUnit4ClassRunner.runChild(BlockJUnit4ClassRunner.java:76)
at
org.junit.runners.BlockJUnit4ClassRunner.runChild(BlockJUnit4ClassRunner.java:50)
at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner$3.run(ParentRunner.java:193)
at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner$1.schedule(ParentRunner.java:52)
at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner.runChildren(ParentRunner.java:191)
at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner.access$000(ParentRunner.java:42)
at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner$2.evaluate(ParentRunner.java:184)
at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner.run(ParentRunner.java:236)
at
org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit4.runner.JUnit4TestReference.run(JUnit4TestReference.java:49)
at
org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.TestExecution.run(TestExecution.java:38)
at
org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.RemoteTestRunner.runTests(RemoteTestRunner.java:467)
at
org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.RemoteTestRunner.runTests(RemoteTestRunner.java:683)
at
org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.RemoteTestRunner.run(RemoteTestRunner.java:390)
at
org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.RemoteTestRunner.main(RemoteTestRunner.java:197)

Thanks.

sele...@googlecode.com

Jun 8, 2011, 3:45:45 PM6/8/11
to selenium-deve...@googlegroups.com

Comment #5 on issue 1797 by ericrgl...@gmail.com: New ChromeDriver -
WebDriverException: Timed out waiting for ChromeDriver server to start.
http://code.google.com/p/selenium/issues/detail?id=1797

Never mind I was confused. I changed the System property to point to the
executable; not to the folder of the executable; and I do not get the error.