SO RC1 - Multiple logstash-* listed in Index Patterns

Josh Silvestro

Jan 30, 2018, 9:16:04 AM1/30/18
to security-onion
New RC1 looks great! Following initial setup I went in to management, because personally I set sample to 250, popular to 0, and default time period to 8 hours.

Regardless, I noticed that under Index Patterns, I have 4 *:logstash-* index patterns and one set as default. I've done nothing at this point but run the so-setup and add one logstash conf file, which I'd used in the past SO releases.

Should this happen? Can I safely delete the other 3?

Capture.PNG

Josh Silvestro

Jan 30, 2018, 9:30:47 AM1/30/18
to security-onion
Also, for almost every search I run I get

Discover: Request Timeout after 30000ms
Error: Request Timeout after 30000ms
at https://X.X.X.X/bundles/kibana.bundle.js?v=16363:61:163257
at https://X.X.X.X/bundles/kibana.bundle.js?v=16363:61:163678

Wes Lambert

Jan 30, 2018, 9:48:07 AM1/30/18
to securit...@googlegroups.com
Josh,

I'm not sure why there are mutliple *:logstash-* index patterns in Kibana, but you should be able to remove the non-default one(s) without issue.  In regard to the timeout issue, have you tried simply restarting with 'sudo so-elastic-restart'?

Thanks,
Wes

--
Follow Security Onion on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/securityonion

Josh Silvestro

Jan 30, 2018, 10:06:53 AM1/30/18
to securit...@googlegroups.com
OK, removed multiple indexes, seems to be OK still. I have already done an so-elastic-restart and a full reboot of the machine. I just gave it another go and still get the same timeout issue.

On Tue, Jan 30, 2018 at 9:30 AM, 'Josh Silvestro' via security-onion <security-onion@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Also, for almost every search I run I get

Discover: Request Timeout after 30000ms
Error: Request Timeout after 30000ms
    at https://X.X.X.X/bundles/kibana.bundle.js?v=16363:61:163257
    at https://X.X.X.X/bundles/kibana.bundle.js?v=16363:61:163678

--
Follow Security Onion on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/securityonion
---

Follow Security Onion on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/securityonion
---

Thank You,
Joshua Silvestro

Wes Lambert

Jan 30, 2018, 10:10:17 AM1/30/18
to securit...@googlegroups.com
Josh,

Try tailing the following to look for clues:

/var/log/logstash/logstash.log
/var/log/elasticsearch/hostname.log

Also, try taking a look for errors in /var/log/nsm/sosetup.log.

Thanks,
Wes

--
Thank You,
Joshua Silvestro

--
Follow Security Onion on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/securityonion
---

Josh Silvestro

Jan 30, 2018, 10:29:13 AM1/30/18
to security-onion
OK, so on a what if it's me hunch. I went and set the sample size down to 150 from 250 and it appears to have fixed the issue. 250 always worked for me in prior releases, but I'll keep an eye on this and see if it continues to work.

Josh Silvestro

Jan 31, 2018, 12:58:47 PM1/31/18
to security-onion
So I'm still getting timeout issues. I've taken the sample size down to 50 now and still having time outs. Unless I'm improperly using it, a default sample size of 10 seems not always helpful. If a port scan or FTP brute force is attempted and I can only view 10 out of 100 events, I don't truly get a good grasp of the situation and if additional action is needed.

Not sure if it's just related to the latest version of Elasticsearch, because I fired up the Beta 3 and it ran fine no issues still with 250 sample size. Back to RC1 and a sample size of 50 yells at me.

Josh Silvestro

Jan 31, 2018, 1:08:32 PM1/31/18
to security-onion
On Wednesday, January 31, 2018 at 12:58:47 PM UTC-5, Josh Silvestro wrote:
> So I'm still getting timeout issues. I've taken the sample size down to 50 now and still having time outs. Unless I'm improperly using it, a default sample size of 10 seems not always helpful. If a port scan or FTP brute force is attempted and I can only view 10 out of 100 events, I don't truly get a good grasp of the situation and if additional action is needed.
>
> Not sure if it's just related to the latest version of Elasticsearch, because I fired up the Beta 3 and it ran fine no issues still with 250 sample size. Back to RC1 and a sample size of 50 yells at me.

I've confirmed I can duplicate the issue consistently with "Sample Size" changes. If I have 100+ it will time out. If I have (at this time) 50 or less it's fine. But again, with the data I've testing with, 300 events, 50 or less show blocked, but I can't really know about the other 200+ without modifying down to finite time frames.

Or am I just going about it the wrong way?

Doug Burks

Jan 31, 2018, 1:18:16 PM1/31/18
to securit...@googlegroups.com
Hi Josh,

I just tested in a VM with discover:sampleSize 500 and I'm not getting
any timeout errors. Are you able to duplicate this on a fresh
installation?
> --
> Follow Security Onion on Twitter!
> https://twitter.com/securityonion
> ---

Doug Burks

Josh Silvestro

Feb 2, 2018, 6:36:17 AM2/2/18
to securit...@googlegroups.com
Doug - I can try a fresh install, but this is actually a second install separate from the original that's having the issues.

On Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 1:18 PM, Doug Burks <doug....@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Josh,

I just tested in a VM with discover:sampleSize 500 and I'm not getting
any timeout errors.  Are you able to duplicate this on a fresh
installation?

On Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 1:08 PM, 'Josh Silvestro' via security-onion
<security-onion@googlegroups.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 31, 2018 at 12:58:47 PM UTC-5, Josh Silvestro wrote:
>> So I'm still getting timeout issues. I've taken the sample size down to 50 now and still having time outs. Unless I'm improperly using it, a default sample size of 10 seems not always helpful. If a port scan or FTP brute force is attempted and I can only view 10 out of 100 events, I don't truly get a good grasp of the situation and if additional action is needed.
>>
>> Not sure if it's just related to the latest version of Elasticsearch, because I fired up the Beta 3 and it ran fine no issues still with 250 sample size. Back to RC1 and a sample size of 50 yells at me.
>
> I've confirmed I can duplicate the issue consistently with "Sample Size" changes. If I have 100+ it will time out. If I have (at this time) 50 or less it's fine. But again, with the data I've testing with, 300 events, 50 or less show blocked, but I can't really know about the other 200+ without modifying down to finite time frames.
>
> Or am I just going about it the wrong way?
>
> --
> Follow Security Onion on Twitter!
> https://twitter.com/securityonion
> ---

Doug Burks

--
Follow Security Onion on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/securityonion
---

Thank You,
Joshua Silvestro

Doug Burks

Feb 8, 2018, 8:05:10 PM2/8/18
to securit...@googlegroups.com
Hi Josh,

We tracked down the multiple logstash-* issue today so RC2 installs
should only have one logstash-* Index Pattern. RC2 should fix some
other issues as well. Stay tuned!
>> > an email to security-onio...@googlegroups.com.
>> > Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/security-onion.
>>

>> --
>> Doug Burks
>>
>> --
>> Follow Security Onion on Twitter!
>> https://twitter.com/securityonion
>> ---
>

> --
> Thank You,
> Joshua Silvestro
>

> --
> Follow Security Onion on Twitter!
> https://twitter.com/securityonion
> ---

Josh Silvestro

Feb 9, 2018, 6:30:02 AM2/9/18
to securit...@googlegroups.com
Awesome, glad to hear it!

>> > Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/security-onion.
>>

>> --
>> Doug Burks
>>
>> --
>> Follow Security Onion on Twitter!
>> https://twitter.com/securityonion
>> ---

>> Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/security-onion.
>

> --
> Thank You,
> Joshua Silvestro
>

> --
> Follow Security Onion on Twitter!
> https://twitter.com/securityonion
> ---

> Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/security-onion.

Doug Burks

--
Follow Security Onion on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/securityonion
---

Josh Silvestro

Feb 20, 2018, 5:36:14 PM2/20/18
to security-onion
Wasn't sure if I should open a new thread, but I seem to do that often. However, in RC2, I still have multiple *:logstash-* listed under index.

Wes Lambert

Feb 20, 2018, 5:38:03 PM2/20/18
to securit...@googlegroups.com
Hi Josh,

Did you upgrade, or install from the new ISO?

Thanks,
Wes

On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 5:36 PM, 'Josh Silvestro' via security-onion <securit...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Wasn't sure if I should open a new thread, but I seem to do that often. However, in RC2, I still have multiple *:logstash-* listed under index.

Josh Silvestro

Wes Lambert

Feb 20, 2018, 6:04:12 PM2/20/18
to securit...@googlegroups.com
Would you be able to provide the log found in /var/log/nsm/sosetup.log?

Thanks,
Wes

Thank You,
Joshua Silvestro