so-import-pcap "Error while merging"

Jay Hawk

Jan 10, 2019, 9:05:31 AM1/10/19
to security-onion
Hey guys,
I've been having an issue while running so-import-pcap. Seems I'm getting an issue similar to what Mr. Bejtlich was getting in his blog post here:
https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:TXWq929d2boJ:https://taosecurity.blogspot.com/2018/02/+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Have there been any recent developments on this issue?

Thanks,
Jay

Wes Lambert

Jan 10, 2019, 4:14:19 PM1/10/19
to securit...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jay,

This is due to mergecap recognizing the pcaps in question as "corrupt", or non-compliant.

You could try using something like pcapfix (will likely have to install) to fix these pcaps before merging.  It may be that we consider doing something like this directly in so-import-pcap, or that we replace the use of mergepcap with joincap in the future.

I can't speak to either at the moment, but manually running pcapfix could help.

Thanks,
Wes

--
Follow Security Onion on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/securityonion

Doug Burks

Jan 30, 2019, 1:32:16 PM1/30/19
to securit...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jay,

I just pushed a git commit that should help so-import-pcap to more gracefully handle non-compliant pcaps:

As Wes mentioned previously, this update leverages pcapfix to try to automatically recover any non-compliant pcaps.

This is being tracked as Issue 1430:

and is scheduled for inclusion in the upcoming 16.04.5.7 ISO image:

In the meantime, if you'd like to try it out, you can download the new so-import-pcap here:

We'd be interested in any feedback you may have.

Thanks!
Doug Burks
CEO
Security Onion Solutions, LLC