Pulledpork, rule-update, and several other updates available for Security Onion!

Doug Burks

Jan 4, 2017, 8:25:18 AM1/4/17
to securit...@googlegroups.com

da...@chauntry.com

Jan 6, 2017, 5:09:15 AM1/6/17
to security-onion
Since this update I have encountered a number of problems:

1. OSSEC no longer reports on zero packets being received. This appears to be because sostat-interface is no longer in /usr/bin.

2. All of the sostat-* commands have gone from /usr/bin. Some of them are in /usr/sbin but not all.

3. the "sudo sostat-redacted" command returns 2 error lines, "sed: -e expression #1, char 6: unterminated `s' command" and "sed: -e expression #1, char 7: unterminated `s' command".

Thanks,

Dave.

Doug Burks

Jan 6, 2017, 5:42:24 AM1/6/17
to securit...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dave,

Replies inline.

On Fri, Jan 6, 2017 at 3:36 AM, <da...@chauntry.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday, 4 January 2017 13:25:18 UTC, Doug Burks wrote:
>> http://blog.securityonion.net/2017/01/pulledpork-rule-update-and-several.html
>>
>> --
>> Doug Burks
>
> Since this update I have encountered a number of problems:
>
> 1. OSSEC no longer reports on zero packets being received. This appears to be because sostat-interface is no longer in /usr/bin.

Good catch! I've created the following issue:
https://github.com/Security-Onion-Solutions/security-onion/issues/1056

Look for a package update in the near future that will resolve this
automatically.

> 2. All of the sostat-* commands have gone from /usr/bin.

Yes, per the blog post
(http://blog.securityonion.net/2017/01/pulledpork-rule-update-and-several.html),
this is part of Issue 1042:
https://github.com/Security-Onion-Solutions/security-onion/issues/1042

> Some of them are in /usr/sbin but not all.

Per Issue 1042, the following sostat-* commands should have moved from
/usr/bin/ to /usr/sbin/:
/usr/bin/sostat-interface
/usr/bin/sostat-interface-delta
/usr/bin/sostat-quick
/usr/bin/sostat-redacted

Are you see something different?

> 3. the "sudo sostat-redacted" command returns 2 error lines, "sed: -e expression #1, char 6: unterminated `s' command" and "sed: -e expression #1, char 7: unterminated `s' command".

I'm unable to duplicate this. Does it return any other output for
you? If so, can you include it in your reply (may need to manually
redact any remaining sensitive info)?

--
Doug Burks

da...@chauntry.com

Jan 6, 2017, 8:09:54 AM1/6/17
to security-onion

Hi Doug,

As regards the issues with sostat-redacted, that is all the output I get (the two error lines shown above).

I have found a further issue - the daily stats have failed with the error "/bin/sh: 1: /usr/bin/sostat: not found"

Thanks,

Dave.

Doug Burks

Jan 6, 2017, 8:55:59 AM1/6/17
On Fri, Jan 6, 2017 at 8:09 AM, <da...@chauntry.com> wrote:
> I have found a further issue - the daily stats have failed with the error "/bin/sh: 1: /usr/bin/sostat: not found"

What daily stats are you referring to?

--
Doug Burks

da...@chauntry.com

Jan 6, 2017, 8:56:34 AM1/6/17
to security-onion

Hi Doug,

I have found the problem with sostat-redacted. I had updated OpenSSH to the latest version (we need this because of our PCI accreditation), but the new sshd_config file contains 2 lines that include the word "Port" This causes a problem with the SSH_PORT variable in sostat-redacted. This can be overcome by changing the line that retrieves SSH_PORT to add a space after the word "Port" ...

SSH_PORT=$(grep "Port " /etc/ssh/sshd_config | awk '{print $2}')

Thanks,

Dave.

da...@chauntry.com

Jan 6, 2017, 9:01:08 AM1/6/17
to security-onion

Hi Doug,

Sorry, it looks like that has been resolved. the /etc/cron.d/sostat script had been updated to refer to /usr/sbin/sostat, but the change hadn't been picked up by cron.

Thanks,

Dave.

Doug Burks

Jan 6, 2017, 9:02:10 AM1/6/17
On Fri, Jan 6, 2017 at 8:56 AM, <da...@chauntry.com> wrote:
> Hi Doug,
>
> I have found the problem with sostat-redacted. I had updated OpenSSH to the latest version (we need this because of our PCI accreditation), but the new sshd_config file contains 2 lines that include the word "Port" This causes a problem with the SSH_PORT variable in sostat-redacted. This can be overcome by changing the line that retrieves SSH_PORT to add a space after the word "Port" ...
>
> SSH_PORT=$(grep "Port " /etc/ssh/sshd_config | awk '{print $2}')

Created Issue 1057 for this:
https://github.com/Security-Onion-Solutions/security-onion/issues/1057

--
Doug Burks

Roy

Jan 6, 2017, 4:07:24 PM1/6/17
to security-onion

Not sure if this is related but getting the following after the update:

I'm having issue with rule-update now:
Running PulledPork.
Error 400 when fetching https://www.snort.org/rules/snortrules-snapshot-2990.tar.gz.md5 at /usr/bin/pulledpork.pl line 534.

Also, snort_alerts starts to fail after a restart with:
/var/log/nsm/sop01-eth2/snortu-20.log
ERROR: The dynamic detection library "/usr/local/lib/snort_dynamicrules/policy-social.so" version 1.0 compiled with dynamic engine library version 2.6 isn't compatible with the current dynamic engine library "/usr/lib/snort_dynamicengine/libsf_engine.so" version 3.0.
Fatal Error, Quitting..

Doug Burks

Jan 6, 2017, 4:22:44 PM1/6/17
to securit...@googlegroups.com
Hi Roy,

Have you double-checked your snort.org oinkcode?

If so, please include the full output of "sudo rule-update" in your
reply (redacting sensitive info as necessary).
> --
> Follow Security Onion on Twitter!
> https://twitter.com/securityonion
> ---

Doug Burks

Roy

Jan 9, 2017, 7:13:14 AM1/9/17
to security-onion
Hi Doug,

Yes I've double checked the oinkcode and also manually was able to download the files.

I do need to use a proxy and after examining the pulledpork.pl script I notices a -W option for a proxy workaround. I added the -W option to the rule-update PULLEDPORK_OPTIONS and the rule update works now. Is there an alternate place for setting this?

The alert issue appears to be resolved with the successful execution of the rule-update...

Doug Burks

Jan 9, 2017, 7:17:06 AM1/9/17
to securit...@googlegroups.com
Hi Roy,

Try adding the following to /etc/nsm/securityonion.conf:
PULLEDPORK_OPTIONS="-W"