Kibana HIDS is not showing and Errors

Tim Bentley

Mar 2, 2019, 4:16:13 AM3/2/19
to security-onion
I have Wazuh configured on 3 machines and get log messages but I do not see any events on Kibana.
What configuration could I have missed?

Doug Burks

Mar 2, 2019, 6:34:46 AM3/2/19
to securit...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tim,

Please run the following command:

sudo sostat-redacted

There will be a lot of output, so you may need to increase your terminal’s scroll buffer OR redirect the output of the command to a file:

sudo sostat-redacted > sostat-redacted.txt 2>&1

sostat-redacted will automatically redact any IPv4/IPv6/MAC addresses, but there may be additional sensitive info that you still need to redact manually.

Attach the output to your email in plain text format (.txt) OR use a service like http://pastebin.com.

--
Follow Security Onion on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/securityonion

Doug Burks
CEO
Security Onion Solutions, LLC

Tim Bentley

Mar 2, 2019, 7:06:53 AM3/2/19
to security-onion
On Saturday, 2 March 2019 09:16:13 UTC, Tim Bentley wrote:
> I have Wazuh configured on 3 machines and get log messages but I do not see any events on Kibana.
> What configuration could I have missed?

As requested

sostat-redacted.txt

Doug Burks

Mar 2, 2019, 7:41:03 AM3/2/19
to securit...@googlegroups.com
Based on your sostat output, it looks like Elasticsearch, Logtash, and Kibana are healthy and processing data correctly.

Are you not seeing any events in Kibana at all, or are you just not seeing events from your Wazuh agents?

When you added the Wazuh agents, did you follow the instructions at https://securityonion.readthedocs.io/en/latest/Wazuh.html#adding-agents including allowing the traffic through the firewall with so-allow?

Tim Bentley

Mar 2, 2019, 7:51:59 AM3/2/19
to security-onion
On Saturday, 2 March 2019 09:16:13 UTC, Tim Bentley wrote:
> I have Wazuh configured on 3 machines and get log messages but I do not see any events on Kibana.
> What configuration could I have missed?

I get the alert emails from the server via Wazuh but I am not seeing any events in on the Kibana dashboard.
I am looking at using Elastalert for reporting but I am not seeing broken down Wazuh events. I have some ossec_archive events but all the information is in a json field called message which does not seem right.

Doug Burks

Mar 2, 2019, 7:58:34 AM3/2/19
to securit...@googlegroups.com
Which Kibana dashboard are you looking at?

HIDS (under Alert Data)

OR

OSSEC (under Host Hunting)

--
Follow Security Onion on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/securityonion
---

Tim Bentley

Mar 2, 2019, 8:47:18 AM3/2/19
to security-onion
On Saturday, 2 March 2019 09:16:13 UTC, Tim Bentley wrote:
> I have Wazuh configured on 3 machines and get log messages but I do not see any events on Kibana.
> What configuration could I have missed?

HIDS under Alert Data as I assume that will have a good breakdown.

OSSEC under Host Hunting has all the data in JSON which makes it difficult to test for.

Is this linked to

https://github.com/Security-Onion-Solutions/security-onion/issues/1469

Doug Burks

Mar 2, 2019, 9:30:31 AM3/2/19
to securit...@googlegroups.com
You may be experiencing Issue 1469 if you're using version 3.8.x of the Wazuh agent and you're looking at eventchannel logs.  Looks like they do default to eventchannel format for at least the Security log now.

Here are a couple of options you might try until we're able to release a fix for 1469:

- in the agent configuration, change eventchannel to eventlog for Security log and other logs that support eventlog

OR

- revert back to Wazuh agent 3.7

--
Follow Security Onion on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/securityonion
---

Tim Bentley

Mar 2, 2019, 9:36:54 AM3/2/19
to security-onion
On Saturday, 2 March 2019 09:16:13 UTC, Tim Bentley wrote:
> I have Wazuh configured on 3 machines and get log messages but I do not see any events on Kibana.
> What configuration could I have missed?

Will wait for the update to come.
It is not mission critical and I may mess something else up!

Thanks for the help.