RE: [security-onion] problem installing SO 12.04 new release on DL380 G5 server

Castle, Shane

Jan 2, 2013, 1:20:50 PM1/2/13
to securit...@googlegroups.com
Nope. It installed fine on an old Dell 2850 I have under my desk (makes a dandy foot warmer when running).

--
Shane Castle
Data Security Mgr, Boulder County IT

Jan 2, 2013, 1:30:22 PM1/2/13
to securit...@googlegroups.com
Did you follow the instructions here?
http://code.google.com/p/security-onion/wiki/Installation#What's_the_RECOMMENDED_procedure_for_installing_Security_On

Did you verify the checksum of the ISO image?

Are you sure your hardware supports 64-bit OS?

Thanks,
Doug

On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 1:11 PM, <casper.a...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I was trying the new release 12.04 and wanted to install it on a HP DL380 G5 server we had in storage..
>
> I burned the CD
> Booted from the CD
> Choose install in the SO boot menu
>
> And then blank screen. I don't see the Xubuntu logo which normally appear with a activity/progress bar below it.
>
> My disk act funny so i suspect this really isn't a SO problem but a Xubuntu problem by not having the drivers for the disk controller... But i figured a Linux distro should have drivers for such a old server and therefore figured i would start here...
>
> Anyone have had this issue?
>
> Sincerely
>
> Casper
>
> --

Doug Burks
http://securityonion.blogspot.com

Jason McClish

Jan 2, 2013, 1:32:55 PM1/2/13
to securit...@googlegroups.com
I had to use the nomodeset option when booting Hp hardware to get a display.

Scott Runnels

Jan 2, 2013, 1:40:03 PM1/2/13
to securit...@googlegroups.com
Have you had any luck installing an Ubuntu variant on this machine?  Can you install Ubuntu 12.04 Server?

v/r
Scott
Scott Runnels

Doug Burks

Jan 3, 2013, 12:29:26 PM1/3/13
to securit...@googlegroups.com
When booting the ISO image, notice at the bottom of the screen it says
"press Tab to edit options".
Doug

On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 6:57 AM, <casper.a...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Jason,
>
> could you tell me how you implemented this under SO install?
>
> I found this article:
>
> but i'm unsure how i would go about it compared to the SO install CD?
>
> Thank in advanced

Doug Burks

May 23, 2013, 9:53:49 PM5/23/13
to securit...@googlegroups.com