Cron <root@localhost> /opt/bro/bin/broctl cron, post PF_RING update

Richard Anderson

Aug 27, 2014, 2:50:39 PM8/27/14
to securit...@googlegroups.com
get this error every 5 minutes via email: error: broctl-config.sh not found (try 'broctl install'). I assume its a cron, but I don't know which.

Also, I was not getting these before the PF_RING update. Just want to either make it go away or fix the problem.

Richard Anderson

Aug 27, 2014, 2:53:04 PM8/27/14
On Wednesday, August 27, 2014 1:50:39 PM UTC-5, Richard Anderson wrote:
> get this error every 5 minutes via email: error: broctl-config.sh not found (try 'broctl install'). I assume its a cron, but I don't know which.
>
> Also, I was not getting these before the PF_RING update. Just want to either make it go away or fix the problem.

Forgot to mention that I am not using Bro, it is disabled in the SO config.

Doug Burks

Aug 27, 2014, 3:51:09 PM8/27/14
to securit...@googlegroups.com
Hi Richard,

Per the error message, have you tried running the following?

sudo broctl install
> --

Doug Burks
Need Security Onion Training or Commercial Support?
http://securityonionsolutions.com

Richard Anderson

Aug 27, 2014, 3:55:29 PM8/27/14
to securit...@googlegroups.com

I thought about doing that, but read a few other posts where a guy did ran broctl install. Nothing in the blog post about the update to run that, so I thought it did it already. I'll run it and see what happens. Thanks.

Doug Burks

Aug 27, 2014, 3:59:38 PM8/27/14
to securit...@googlegroups.com
For Bro users, our blog post recommended running "sudo
nsm_sensor_ps-restart --only-bro" which automatically includes "broctl
install" so most users should never have to manually run "broctl
install".

Since you have Bro disabled, you can simply run "sudo broctl install".

On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 3:55 PM, Richard Anderson

Richard Anderson

Aug 27, 2014, 4:25:47 PM8/27/14
to securit...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Doug!

I did run "sudo salt '*' cmd.run 'sudo nsm_sensor_ps-restart --only-bro'" per the instructions, but it probably failed since Bro is disabled.
Running sudo broctl install fixed the flood of cron emails.

Doug Burks

Aug 27, 2014, 4:29:23 PM8/27/14
to securit...@googlegroups.com
Glad to hear it!

The cron job is /etc/cron.d/bro:

# /etc/cron.d/bro
#
# crontab entry to monitor Bro processes

SHELL=/bin/sh
PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin

0-59/5 * * * * root /opt/bro/bin/broctl cron

We might want to consider adding the following to redirect all output
to the bit bucket:
> /dev/null 2>&1

Does anybody ever get emails from this cron job that they *do* want to see?

On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 4:25 PM, Richard Anderson