Recent changes causing local.rules to be copied to downloaded.rules?

Jeff H

Jan 15, 2017, 5:13:40 PM1/15/17
to securit...@googlegroups.com
I noticed recently that Snort was complaining about duplicate rules. Looking into it further I see that it looks like all of my rules from local.rules are also in downloaded.rules.

I know there have been a few updates recently (Snort, Pulledpork, rule-update), did this behavior change recently? Or has this always been the behavior and I just noticed it now?

Previously I had both downloaded.rules and local.rules in my snort.conf, which I don't remember manually modifying, but I may have when I first started adding local rules long ago.

Since all of my local rules appear to now be getting added to the downloaded.rules I commented out the local.rules line and Snort stopped complaining.

Just wondering if this is:

1) Normal behavior?
2) New behavior? Or did I just notice it?

Thanks

Jeff

Doug Burks

Jan 16, 2017, 8:23:43 AM1/16/17
to securit...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jeff,

I just tested and it does appear that this a change in PulledPork.
PulledPork 0.7.0 does not copy local.rules to downloaded.rules, but
PulledPork 0.7.3 does.

I added a comment to this PulledPork issue:
https://github.com/shirkdog/pulledpork/issues/235

To clarify though, when you say that "Snort was complaining about
duplicate rules", is Snort just emitting a WARNING and continuing to
run, or is it emitting an ERROR and failing to run? My testing
indicates it's just a WARNING and Snort continues to run. In other
words, you could keep downloaded.rules and local.rules in your
snort.conf (the default) and Snort will log a WARNING but should still
run properly.
> --
> Follow Security Onion on Twitter!
> https://twitter.com/securityonion
> ---

Doug Burks

Michael Bower

Jan 16, 2017, 10:02:10 AM1/16/17
to security-onion
I'm seeing an error on mine, in addition to the WARNING:

ERROR: /etc/nsm/rules/downloaded.rules(29266) threshold (in rule): could not create threshold - only one per sig_id=10020171

Mike

Doug Burks

Jan 16, 2017, 10:05:05 AM1/16/17
to securit...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mike,

Is that ERROR causing Snort to fail, or is Snort still running properly?

Michael Bower

Jan 16, 2017, 10:14:41 AM1/16/17
to securit...@googlegroups.com
Alert data is failing:

  * netsniff-ng (full packet data)[  OK  ]
  * pcap_agent (SO-user)[  OK  ]
  * snort_agent-1 (SO-user)[  OK  ]
  * snort_agent-2 (SO-user)[  OK  ]
  * snort-1 (alert data)[ FAIL ]
  * stale PID file found, process will be restarted at the next 5-minute interval!
  * snort-2 (alert data)[ FAIL ]
  * stale PID file found, process will be restarted at the next 5-minute interval!
  * barnyard2-1 (spooler, unified2 format)[  OK  ]
  * barnyard2-2 (spooler, unified2 format)[  OK  ]

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "security-onion" group.

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/security-onion.

Sent from my Android device

Doug Burks

Jan 16, 2017, 10:31:26 AM1/16/17
to securit...@googlegroups.com
Yep, I can duplicate this for rules that contain thresholds. Affected
folks can comment out "include $RULE_PATH/local.rules" in their
snort.conf until PulledPork Issue 235
(https://github.com/shirkdog/pulledpork/issues/235) is resolved and/or
we release a patch.

Jeff H

Jan 16, 2017, 11:33:31 AM1/16/17
to securit...@googlegroups.com
Just to confirm, I had the same error as Mike.

>> > --
>> > Follow Security Onion on Twitter!
>> > https://twitter.com/securityonion
>> > ---

>> > Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/security-onion.
>>

>> --
>> Doug Burks
>>
>> --
>> Follow Security Onion on Twitter!
>> https://twitter.com/securityonion
>> ---

>> Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/security-onion.
>
> --
>
> Sent from my Android device
>
> --
> Follow Security Onion on Twitter!
> https://twitter.com/securityonion
> ---

> Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/security-onion.

Doug Burks

--
Follow Security Onion on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/securityonion
---

Doug Burks

Jan 16, 2017, 11:53:36 AM1/16/17
to securit...@googlegroups.com
I've created the following issue:
https://github.com/Security-Onion-Solutions/security-onion/issues/1062

I've also patched the NSM scripts to automatically comment out
local.rules entries in snort.conf and suricata.yaml:
https://github.com/Security-Onion-Solutions/securityonion-nsmnow-admin-scripts/commit/18813ecae3d5f53b9b5c82f3260f18b7cd62ce6f

The new package has been submitted for testing:
https://groups.google.com/d/topic/security-onion-testing/zlZ5XA8KlCU/discussion

Please help us test so it can be released ASAP.

Thanks!