CYPHERCON - Wisconsin Hacker Conference (March 11th, 2016)

Michael Goetzman

Feb 1, 2016, 3:29:24 PM2/1/16
to Sector67 Public
Hello Sector67,

We are seeking Sector67 member participation with our inaugural CYPHERCON in Milwaukee.

We would like to present a Madison booth demonstrating Madison's hacker projects. We have booths for Milwaukee hackers and Green Bay hackers. Madison has one or two people participating thus far but figured sector67 would have some exciting projects to present.

If you are interested presenting a project or even just attending please contact me at 'goetzman -at- gmaiI ' or on cyphercon.com

Here is some additional information:

CYPHERCON aims to be Wisconsin’s first hacker conference with 300 attendees our first year. There are a number of hacker, lockpick, and security- related groups in the Wisconsin area, but as of yet none of them have unified into a conference. We are seeking representation from all the major areas of Wisconsin. CYPHERCON aims to change that by bringing all of the groups into a hacker/crypto themed conference. The conference will be held March 11th and 12th, 2016, at the Pfister Hotel in Downtown Milwaukee, and at the Safe House. The Pfister hotel offers tons of unique history and the Safe House has been a popular spy-themed restaurant and night spot since 1966, with no discernable outdoor marking advertising its location. People must first find its entrance and give a password for entry. Inside it houses many collectibles from the Cold War, including exhibits from the International Cold War Museum.

CypherCon’s speaker list and website is at http://cyphercon.com Our Friday keynote speaker is Lieutenant Colonel Bill Hagestad II who will speak on “China's Hackers and Cyber Sovereignty”. Our Saturday keynote speaker Joe Cicero will speak on “Privacy In a Surveillance State, Evading Detection”. One of our other speakers, a personal friend of mine: Werner Juretzko, will be Espionage in the ColdWar. Werner was a G-2 undercover political operative for the US Army intelligence, and conducted authorized undercover espionage missions behind the Iron Curtain. He was, however, caught and held for 6 years in Communist prisons. The prison door he was incarcerated next to is on display at the Safe House. Werner is heavily involved with the International Cold War Museum as Director of European Affairs which I work with on on their board of directors.

In addition to the speakers, we will have areas known as ‘villages’, that will focus on individual areas of interest, locals, and demonstrations. Our currently planned villages are a lockpicking village, hardware hacking village (soldering and the like), wireless hacking village (capturing unsecured packets that are sent over an untrusted WiFi…aka, ‘don’t shout your password in public’) which will also include a wireless CTF with prizes above $2000, cipher village will have a puzzlemaster which will also feature some great prizes, we will also have wisconsin hacker history, milwaukee/greenbay/madison area representation, as well as a ‘logic bomb’ that must be disabled by completing puzzles to advance to the next section of the briefcase, all before it detonates.

The conference will feature an extremely over-engineered electronic badge and other fun hidden puzzles, crypto, and oddities. Our endeavor has already been featured in the Milwaukee Business Journal, and we will continue to search for interested Wisconsin hackers to attend and form the conference into their/our own.

Thank you,
Michael Goetzman "Korgo"

Andy Bach

Feb 1, 2016, 5:21:35 PM2/1/16
to sect...@googlegroups.com

On Mon, Feb 1, 2016 at 2:21 PM, Michael Goetzman <goet...@gmail.com> wrote:
If you are interested presenting a project or even just attending please contact me at 'goetzman -at- gmaiI '

Appears to be "sold out"