kafka.common.ConsumerRebalanceFailedException ... Can't rebalance after retries

tony....@vungle.com

Aug 10, 2015, 11:00:23 PM8/10/15
to secor-users
Hi,

We built an older version of secor and it was working perfectly. We are trying to update to the latest code base with the latest configs to take advantage of some of the s3 timestamp granularity features but continuously met with this error:

2015-08-11 02:45:09,761 [Thread-5] (com.pinterest.secor.main.ConsumerMain$1:65) ERROR Thread Thread[Thread-5,5,main] failed
java.lang.RuntimeException: Failed to initialize the consumer
at com.pinterest.secor.consumer.Consumer.run(Consumer.java:85)
Caused by: kafka.common.ConsumerRebalanceFailedException: secor_backup_secor-directattributionraw01_15669_14 can't rebalance after 5 retries
at kafka.consumer.ZookeeperConsumerConnector$ZKRebalancerListener.syncedRebalance(ZookeeperConsumerConnector.scala:633)
at kafka.consumer.ZookeeperConsumerConnector.kafka$consumer$ZookeeperConsumerConnector$$reinitializeConsumer(ZookeeperConsumerConnector.scala:905)
at kafka.consumer.ZookeeperConsumerConnector$WildcardStreamsHandler.<init>(ZookeeperConsumerConnector.scala:939)
at kafka.consumer.ZookeeperConsumerConnector.createMessageStreamsByFilter(ZookeeperConsumerConnector.scala:160)
at kafka.javaapi.consumer.ZookeeperConsumerConnector.createMessageStreamsByFilter(ZookeeperConsumerConnector.scala:101)
at kafka.javaapi.consumer.ZookeeperConsumerConnector.createMessageStreamsByFilter(ZookeeperConsumerConnector.scala:108)
at com.pinterest.secor.reader.MessageReader.<init>(MessageReader.java:70)
at com.pinterest.secor.consumer.Consumer.init(Consumer.java:68)
at com.pinterest.secor.consumer.Consumer.run(Consumer.java:83)

We are on kafka 0.8.2.1 and everything appears to be working fine on the kafka side.

Thanks for your help.

Tony

Pawel Garbacki

Aug 12, 2015, 1:20:45 PM8/12/15
to tony....@vungle.com, secor-users
Hi Tony,

thanks for reporting it. Could you narrow this down to a specific code version? We should notify the author of the offending PR.

Thanks,
-pawel

tony....@vungle.com

Jun 6, 2016, 8:59:49 PM6/6/16
to secor-users
Just to follow up, turns out I had to increase the

zookeeper.session.timeout.ms=

to a bigger number.