seattle comcast router setup?

qitty qat

Jan 15, 2010, 3:32:39 AM1/15/10
Hi:

I would like to use a router on my comcast cable connection so I can
have two computers online at the same time. But I can't figure out how
to set the computers up in the Network pane.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks!

qq

Wolf K

Jan 15, 2010, 10:13:00 AM1/15/10

If you are using a cabled or wireless router, you don't need to set up a
network:

computers --> router --> cable modem --> cable

will do it. This will not be a true network, just a common access point
to the modem. You do have to configure the router for the type of modem
and your ISP's protocol. How you do this is specific to the router.

I simplified our in-home network this way recently after getting a
wireless adapter for the desktop machine. Now a PC, a PC laptop, and a
Mac Powerbook all happily access the web at the same time, When our
daughter's family visited for Christmas, they all accessed the web. At
times we had five machines on-line at the same time. All they needed was
the encryption key on first access. Sweet.

If you haven't already done so, use one of the computers to configure
the router for cable modem access. If it's a wireless router, set up
encryption, using the strongest encryption that the router supports.

When you set up the encryption, Save the encryption key as a text file,
and copy it to a USB stick. When the second computer tries to access the
network for the first time, you will get a pane that asks for an
encryption key. Use the USB stick to Copy and Paste the key into the
appropriate box.

If you really want to set up a network, you should repost your request
with info about the components and computers/OSs you are using, because
a lot of advice will be brand- and even model-specific.

You also need to think about what kind of network you want, and why. I
don't need a true network here, as it's just as easy to mail print jobs
from the laptops to the PC, and print from there. About the only reason
I can see for a true network is to enable miscellaneous media to be
streamed to the TV. At the moment I don't need that.

cheers,
wolf k.

MacGeek

Jan 15, 2010, 11:04:09 AM1/15/10
In article <150120100032391036%qitt...@nothere.com>,
qitty qat <qitt...@nothere.com> wrote:

I can certain help with an inhome consultation.

Liam Cole
Consultant - GnuSkill

P.O. Box 6083
Lynnwood, WA 98036

liam-AT-GnuSkill.com

www.GnuSkill.com

--
I was a peripheral visionary.
I could see the future,

Wolf K

Jan 15, 2010, 2:54:44 PM1/15/10
MacGeek wrote:
> In article <150120100032391036%qitt...@nothere.com>,
> qitty qat <qitt...@nothere.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi:
>>
>> I would like to use a router on my comcast cable connection so I can
>> have two computers online at the same time. But I can't figure out how
>> to set the computers up in the Network pane.
>>
>> Can anyone help me?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> qq
>
> I can certain help with an inhome consultation.
>
> Liam Cole
> Consultant - GnuSkill
>

> P.O. Box 6083
> Lynnwood, WA 98036
>
> liam-AT-GnuSkill.com
>
> www.GnuSkill.com

H'm, if you're ever this way (mid-Northern Ontario), I could use some
help, too. ;-)

I tried setting up a true network, but got lost almost immediately.

cheers,
wolf k.

MacGeek

Jan 16, 2010, 2:12:30 AM1/16/10
In article <4b50c801$0$3066$9a6e...@news.newshosting.com>,
Wolf K <wek...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

ah - well -- this being a Seattle users group . . .

Wolf K

Jan 16, 2010, 10:38:29 AM1/16/10

Yeah, but you might wanna come this way for your vacation. We have
rocks, water, and tress. Oh, erm, um, so do you.... ;-)

cheers,
wolf k.

qitty qat

Jan 23, 2010, 1:32:44 AM1/23/10
Thanks everybody!

I did something a little weird: I got an Apple USB->Ethernet hardware
gizmo. First, I attach a Mac Mini directly to the cable modem with
ethernet as usual. Second, I attach the gizmo to one of the Mac Mini's
USB port and connect a gigabit switch to it. Third, I tell the Mac Mini
to share the internet connection on the gizmo. Then I attach Macs to
the gigabit switch and everybody can talk to each other as well as see
the internet!

Thanks again,

qq

In article <4b51dd72$0$13653$9a6e...@news.newshosting.com>, Wolf K

Wolf K

Feb 5, 2010, 10:21:29 AM2/5/10
qitty qat wrote:
> Thanks everybody!
>
> I did something a little weird: I got an Apple USB->Ethernet hardware
> gizmo. First, I attach a Mac Mini directly to the cable modem with
> ethernet as usual. Second, I attach the gizmo to one of the Mac Mini's
> USB port and connect a gigabit switch to it. Third, I tell the Mac Mini
> to share the internet connection on the gizmo. Then I attach Macs to
> the gigabit switch and everybody can talk to each other as well as see
> the internet!
>
> Thanks again,
>
> qq

AFAICT, you just used the Mac Mini to create a peer-to-peer wireless
network. If you have a network capable printer, you can attach it to the
switch, and everyone can print via the network. I did the same thing,
but uses a Windows box to configure the network.

Unsolicited but important advice:

SECURITY MATTERS. I strongly urge you to implement WAN encryption
(security), so that only computers that have the encryption key can
access the network. Use the Mini's network configuration software to
create a key (use the strongest method available). The other computers
will now be unable to access the network. They need the key. Copy the
key to a text file, then copy that text file to a USB stick. Plug it
into each computer, access the network, and copy & paste the key from
the text file when asked for it. Now you have a secure network. Keep the
text file, for use by guests (but it's probably a good idea to create a
new key after they leave. Just in case.)

Why have a secure network? Because if you don't, anyone within range can
use your wireless access point to surf the net, etc. Worst case: they
use your equipment for illegal purposes. That can cause major hassles
for you. Recent case: a woman whose network was used for illegal
downloading of movies. Her ISP shut down access. She had a hell of a
time clearing her name.

cheers,
wolf k.