"Failed to start seafile service" Windows 7 64 bit

Yo Momma

Aug 6, 2014, 11:06:49 PM8/6/14
to sea...@googlegroups.com
I thought I had the seafile server set up and working before, but it appears to not be working anymore. When I execute run.bat, I get a dialog stating "Failed to start seafile service." If i delete the seafile-server folder, and execute run.bat, the applet is in the tray for a little while, saying it's initializing the db, then I get the same dialog and the tray icon goes away. seafile-server/logs/seafserv_applet.log just shows:

[08/06/14 21:52:47] created "python "C:\Program Files (x86)\seafile-server-3.0.4\seafile\bin\..\..\seahub\manage.py" syncdb", pid 760
[08/06/14 21:53:00] applet/service-install.c(173): Failed to launch seafile service: error code 3

Anyone know what could be wrong, or how to debug this problem?

I have also tried deleting and re-extracting the seafile server program directory.

Yo Momma

Aug 7, 2014, 3:52:49 PM8/7/14
to sea...@googlegroups.com
Found the problem. Avast thinks some of the executables are viruses and kept deleting them.

Rainer Lang

Aug 7, 2014, 4:42:33 PM8/7/14
to sea...@googlegroups.com
I also use win 7 64bit and avast - but seafile (3.0.4) not as a service. I had never any problems.

Gruß Rainer
(von meinem Smartphone gesendet)

Bai Yaguang

Sep 26, 2015, 12:51:43 PM9/26/15
to seafile
Hi, I encounter a very similar problem. But I can find the anti virus program doing anything..
Any chance you remember which was the problematic file?
Many thanks!

Harrison

Oct 4, 2015, 5:07:55 PM10/4/15
to seafile
Bai

I know this is rather late but I suspect I know the solution to your problem.  Did it occur immediately after "Installing as a Windows Service"?  And, by "not working anymore", do you mean that there is no Icon in the System Tray [but Windows Task Manager shows "seaf-server.exe" is running and I can Login from a Web Browser]?  If so, you can just start "seafserv-applet.exe" manually (right-click on it and select "Run as administrator) or by using Windows Task Scheduler to start it automatically when you Login to Windows.  I would suggest the latter but be sure to check "Run with highest privileges" or it won't work.  The program is in your \Seafile-Execution-Library\seafile\bin\ folder.