webdav errors with zotero

cambri...@gmail.com

Sep 3, 2014, 7:37:19 PM9/3/14
to sea...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I'm trying to get seafile's webdav to work with Zotero (a bibliography program that wants a webDAV server to sync items of bibliography notably .pdfs of journal articles etc.), but am having trouble. Seafile is syncing fine and I can access seafdav with a webbrowser using the url https://<server-address>/seafdav/. However Zotero using webdav manages to connect and starts uploading files but then fails with the error message:

HTTP 504 error from WebDAV server for GET request

After this failure, trying 'verify server' under Zotero preferences provides
An unknown error occurred. Please check your file sync settings or contact your WebDAV server administrator.

The Zotero people are vehement that they work with 'correctly specified webDAV servers'.

Where should I be looking to find error messages and troubleshoot this problem?
Many thanks in advance.
Ian

JiaQiang Xu

Sep 4, 2014, 2:40:22 PM9/4/14
to sea...@googlegroups.com
There is a seaf-dav.log in the logs/ directory on the server. See what's in it.

z33...@gmail.com

May 16, 2015, 1:10:03 AM5/16/15
to sea...@googlegroups.com
Sorry for necroing this old thread, but I encountered the issue described by the OP. I am using seadav; in my regular setup I use it behind nginx, but I have also tried accessing it directly. It is working fine with clients like Cyberduck. Zotero works fine with the WebDAV server that is built into Nginx.

I noticed that Zotero is able to upload a couple of megabytes worth of files to the WebDAV server before it stopped working. I am guessing that it is now trying to upload a file that Seafile deems invalid for some reason (e.g. because of an invalid filename).

The error in logs/seaf-dav.log is as follows:

[2015-05-16 04:16:42,475]:  e.srcexception:
None
[2015-05-16 04:17:56,010]:  Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/opt/seafile/seafile-server-4.1.1/seahub/thirdpart/wsgidav/error_printer.py", line 43, in __call__
    for v in app_iter:
  File "/opt/seafile/seafile-server-4.1.1/seahub/thirdpart/wsgidav/request_resolver.py", line 201, in __call__
    for v in app_iter:
  File "/opt/seafile/seafile-server-4.1.1/seahub/thirdpart/wsgidav/request_server.py", line 113, in __call__
    app_iter = method(environ, start_response)
  File "/opt/seafile/seafile-server-4.1.1/seahub/thirdpart/wsgidav/request_server.py", line 638, in doPUT
    res = parentRes.createEmptyResource(util.getUriName(path))
  File "/opt/seafile/seafile-server-4.1.1/seahub/thirdpart/wsgidav/addons/seafile/seafile_dav_provider.py", line 347, in createEmptyResource
    raise DAVError(HTTP_INTERNAL_ERROR)
DAVError: DAVError(500 Internal Server Error: An internal server error occurred)

This error is logged once every time Zotero attempts to sync.

Looking at the files that Zotero has uploaded through the Nginx WebDAV server, there is nothing that really stands out. Zotero is trying to upload pairs of .zip and .prop files with a maximum size of around 10MB with filenames like "ZSM5T5BE.zip" and "ZSM5T5BE.prop". Again, using Seafile a couple of these .zip and .prop files are uploaded before the server stops working. Resuming the syncing process does not help; Zotero fails before syncing even a single additional file.

Alexander Dudchenko

Aug 4, 2015, 4:06:36 PM8/4/15
to seafile
Hi. I am having the same issue as z33. Any luck with finding a solution?  I have identical setup HTTPs with NGIX and seafile, with seafdav. I can access the data, and upload/download files, but zotero fails to sync? Any solution or luck?