Seafile ccnet.exe detected as Virus by AVG

Siau Kua Pok

Jul 7, 2014, 10:44:40 PM7/7/14
to sea...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

  Has anyone of you encountered this issue recently? Seafile client ccnet.exe on Windows is detected as a Virus by AVG. It didn't happen before so it is probably because of the latest virus definition.
I have ignored the threat but I am not sure if it's a false positive or something that we should be concerned with.

Any advise? Thanks.

Regards,
Colin

Ron Scott-Adams

Jul 8, 2014, 3:20:54 AM7/8/14
to sea...@googlegroups.com
Here’s some conjecture for you, based partly on an understanding of Seafile and more on previous working knowledge of AVG’s trends with pattern updates and heuristic detection.

CCNET is a fairly intrusive and unique sort of network service, from AVG’s perspective, as you can see from the diagram on the components overview wiki article (https://github.com/haiwen/seafile/wiki/Seafile-server-components-overview), CCNET calls to the listener on the Seafile server and receives from the same. So, from AVG’s perspective, what you have is an open call daemon chattering about something opaque to AVG’s detection methods.

As I said though, this is conjecture, so seek out some confirmation. Ask the vendor (hopefully you have a current support agreement), and test against a freshly obtained Seafile client connecting to a different Seafile server (say, the seacloud.cc service). Ensure the origin is correct and no DNS subversion has taken place causing you to obtain rogue clients.

That’s about as paranoid of a checkup as I can think of as reasonable.

Siau Kua Pok

Jul 8, 2014, 10:47:11 PM7/8/14
to sea...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ron,