compatibility mapping about server/clients versions

Nicolas Sebrecht

Feb 26, 2015, 8:31:16 AM2/26/15
to sea...@googlegroups.com, Nicolas Sebrecht
Hi all,

I couldn't find a map to know what client versions are compatbile to
what server versions.

Currently, I'm still running a old seafile server v1.8.2. I can't
upgrade the server easily because of the poor IT knowledge of some users
who won't be able to upgrade their client.

My linux distribution updated a library (libevent-2.1.5) which makes the
client fails to start. I tried to recompile against this latest library
with more recent seafile client versions. Old versions fail to compile
and recent versions that compile aren't compatible with the server.

I'm not asking to get the compilation failures fixed.

OTOH, I think I would have less pain to not try compilation/installation
cycles for versions that are known incompatible against the server
version.

Hence, some questions:

- is there any compatibility mapping documentation somewhere?

- are the big version number about server/client compatibility (the X in
vX.y.z)?

- could it be possible to support old server protocols/API for the latest
clients (not all protocols necessarily, but HTTP at least)?

Thanks,

--
Nicolas Sebrecht