Different projects

Asad Safari

Apr 18, 2015, 6:40:02 AM4/18/15
to scruma...@googlegroups.com
Hi Folks,
   We have a team with 5 people. Today we have different projects, Some of them are live projects (just fix bugs and some improvements) and some of them are in production. In our organization we can't hire more people.
Based on our experience scrum is not good choice because we don't have enough issues for sprint and there are many urgent issues during sprints + there are different requests from different projects.

Most of guys think that we should use Kanban, but we can't find any practical data.
  • If we assign 1 guy to 1 project,  it solve some problems but it creates other problems like knowledge sharing and team working.
  • About process, how Kanban or any process can help us?
Cheers

Asad

Ron Jeffries

Apr 18, 2015, 7:23:35 AM4/18/15
to scruma...@googlegroups.com
Hi Asad,
What are your two few problems?

Ron Jeffries
ronjeffries.com
Impossible is not a fact. It is an opinion.  -- Muhammad Ali

Wouter Lagerweij

Apr 18, 2015, 9:16:12 PM4/18/15
to scruma...@googlegroups.com
Hi Asad,

Where Scrum (or any agile process) could help is helping you/forcing you to ask some questions. You mention a few things that could indicate problems, but we can't really dig down to any possible underlying causes. You and your team, of course, could.

Some questions that might arise:

- why do you need to work on multiple project simultaneously? Could they be done sequentially?
- why are there so many urgent issues? Are those defects? Unexpected customer requests?
- If defects: what is the cause of you creating so many defects? How could you change your process to prevent that?
- If unexpected customer requests: Why are they so urgent? Is the customer really in such an unpredictable market? Or is there some change in communication with the customer in order?
- Why aren't there enough issues for a sprint? Are the customer requests really that unpredictable? Or are the persons responsible for communicating with those customers not involved enough in the development process. Are they perhaps overpromising?
- ...

Well, I did tell you we could not see what's going on in your company. The main thing is to question what is causing the current situation, and to make incremental changes to improve. You might end-up with a process you like. Or  at least be moving in that direction.

Wouter