Game

Sam Dsoca

Feb 18, 2015, 2:21:29 PM2/18/15
to scruma...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I am a scrum Master and am learning the Job. I am facing a very tough team.

I need help in running a trust game.

Can some one suggest a simple trust game for the team ?

It has to be simple as I need to learn how to run it.

Thanks
Sam

Madhu Puppala

Feb 19, 2015, 10:02:37 AM2/19/15
to scruma...@googlegroups.com
For me every team is tough team, you get more closer to them to build  the trust.
Hang out more with them, take them out for breaks.
Give them the freedom, they will come to you for help and every thing will be on table since then.

Hope this helps...

Mark Levison

Feb 19, 2015, 10:05:20 AM2/19/15
to scrumalliance
FYI Sam - there is a games site: tastycupcakes.org and a games mailing list.

There really any trust games. Trust is built slowly over time any game might help a bit.

Cheers
Mark
--

headshot-square-300x300Mark Levison | 1 (877) 248-8277Twitter | LinkedIn | Facebook
Certified ScrumMaster Training: Vancouver | Edmonton | Ottawa | Montreal | Toronto

Yves

Feb 19, 2015, 10:08:41 AM2/19/15
to scruma...@googlegroups.com
What kind of trust are you looking for?
In the team?
Between the team and you ?

Between managers and the team?

scrambled by yPhone

Bachan.anand

Feb 19, 2015, 10:17:37 AM2/19/15
to scruma...@googlegroups.com
There are games I do in a training that leads to building trust between
- team members
- between me and the team members as a coach ( it is more about they trusting me as a coach )
- the team understanding and being open to trusting the Scrum framework

As far trust while coaching a team , I kind of take the same approach , only difference is the game becomes real work , the Sprint

I use Sprint and creating an environment for everyone to be able to play to their best abilities as a way to build trust in the above 3 areas I mention . I found that to set the stage well I need to
1. Trust the team that they will do their best under the given circumstances and believe that everyone is going to play the game .
2. Trust the aspects of framework will help them discover way to trust each other .

Thanks for listening

Bachan Anand
Conscires Agile Practices
Building Great Teams. Delivering Great Value.
+1 949-981-0998

Sam Dsoca

Feb 19, 2015, 10:35:15 AM2/19/15
to scruma...@googlegroups.com
HI,

The trust I am looking for is of 3 types

1)Trust between team members
2)Trust from the PO to Team and Team to PO
3) Trust between the team and SM.

Its one of the challenging teams with many many issues. I am trying to start with one of the most important which is trust.
Just thought any fun game will actually take them out of the work scenario and incite them to look at what the main problem that the team have.

A game is useful because people will forget sprint or project and focus on the game.

Unable to find anything that I could suggest the team to do in an office atmosphere.

Mark Levison

Feb 19, 2015, 10:41:57 AM2/19/15
to scrumalliance

The goal of the game is to help people have conversations around what practices are effective at building high performance teams.

Cheers
Mark

Michael James

Feb 19, 2015, 11:44:48 AM2/19/15
to scruma...@googlegroups.com
If it were me, I’d want to look deeper into why doing the actual work together isn’t building the trust.  The retrospective is a tool for that.

—mj
(Michael)

John Williams

Feb 19, 2015, 1:24:54 PM2/19/15
to scruma...@googlegroups.com
Have you considered doing the Trust Fall exercise as a whole team (including SM and PO)  - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trust_fall

John Williams

Feb 19, 2015, 1:33:37 PM2/19/15
to scruma...@googlegroups.com
Have you considered doing the basic Trust Fall?  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trust_fall

Sam Dsoca

Feb 20, 2015, 7:21:29 AM2/20/15
to scruma...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

Thanks for valuable advices. I was of the hope there would be some small game which will help us Trust each other better.

@Mark Levinson, I will try your game and see how it will go.

Thanks
Sam

Yves Hanoulle

Feb 20, 2015, 10:32:19 AM2/20/15
to scrumalliance
HI,

now I understand better what you need, I see two options that I did not call games yes that could help you. I "played them both as participants in trainings that had nothing to do with agile, yet help a lot on creating and feeling trust

1) you ask people to form pairs or threesomes.

person A stands up and person B stands behind person A. Person B put hand on the shoulder blades of person A.
person A lets him gradually fall backwards. you see how far people trust each other.

person C observes.

different versions:
- can be played with person A carrying a blindfold
- can be played where you ask the person B to not tough the shoulders and then person A has to really trust B to be catching

>Debrief

2) 2 person teams.
person A wears a blindfold
person B tells person A how to walk into a building.

(when I did it, I even made a person sit on a toilet, sit in an empty bath etc etc)
you do this exercise for +10 minutes a person

Debrief

What I can tell is that the person with who I did that exercise, I briefly knew this person before the training. It was at the start of a 2 year training. I really connected with this person later in the training and I trust this person with my life now.
ok that is not only part of this exercise, yet I'm convinced it helped to create the initial trust.

I redid the exercise with my partner a year or so later, at the start of a massage weekend. Although there was already a lot of trust in a relation, it was really interesting to do this.

yves

Yves Hanoulle
Phone 00 32 476 43 38 32
PS: Gratis omwille van het nieuwe schooljaar: Programmeren voor kinderen: http://www.leanpub.com/programmerenvoorkinderen

John Miller

Feb 20, 2015, 10:49:59 AM2/20/15
to scruma...@googlegroups.com
Sam,

I am wondering is there something that is stopping you from addressing this head on? It seems to be a serious issue and worthy of serious discussion. You know you're team and perhaps a game is the skillful way to approach it, but, my experience would lead me to another conclusion

I find an effective way to build trust is to understand the needs of others. You might want to look at The No Fault Zone Game, which uses Nonviolent Communication. I own it and recommend it.

Thank You,
John Miller
Agile Classrooms
Clarity.Choice.Collaboration

Sam Dsoca

Feb 20, 2015, 10:51:13 AM2/20/15
to scruma...@googlegroups.com
HI Yves,

I think I will be able to play these games in an hours time with the team.
But how will I correct the team in debriefing. Is there any way to put observations?
what are the common observations that can be inferred. Just trying to make sure I understand completely before experimenting with the team.

Sam Dsoca

Feb 20, 2015, 10:54:08 AM2/20/15
to scruma...@googlegroups.com
John,

I have tried to do the open talk 2 months back. People were not ready to listen. As a SM, this is one of those teams which never listens to SM,  a lot of politics keep geeting played, infighting etc etc etc.

There is a very long list. I tried several methods, but not games.

I feel games are better because people can forget the project, business roles etc and just have fun.

And learn through the fun. This is the main reason I am trying this.

Yves Hanoulle

Feb 20, 2015, 10:57:26 AM2/20/15
to scrumalliance
HI Yves,

I think I will be able to play these games in an hours time with the team.
But how will I correct the team in debriefing.
you don't. you have to trust them.

their observation are true. that is why for the first game a third person can help
the second one is more about the feeling that happen inside, an observer can't really help there. (I think)

Is there any way to put observations?
what are the common observations that can be inferred. Just trying to make sure I understand completely before experimenting with the team.

by the way the debriefs was in both cases in the small groups.

you can add a larger debrief if you want, yet in the case I would prefer to play multiple rounds of such games...

and only add the end ask if they feel different ...(without going too much into detail)

Yves Hanoulle

Feb 20, 2015, 10:58:56 AM2/20/15
to scrumalliance
then I would talk from my own point of view
ask them for help as you don't know it anymore.
(in a similar way as you asked us)

what is the biggest problem: they not trusting you or they not trusting each other?

John Miller

Feb 20, 2015, 11:02:21 AM2/20/15
to scruma...@googlegroups.com
Sam,

A ScrumMaster uses skillful means. Sounds like you have the grit to help them make a shift.

Thank You,
John Miller
Agile Classrooms
Clarity.Choice.Collaboration