Articles on how to tackle in an Agile way big IT Systems ( ERPs ). Waterfall vs Agile/Lean

Gustavo Cebrian Garcia

Feb 3, 2016, 7:49:22 AM2/3/16
to scruma...@googlegroups.com
Hello !!

I would like to ask you whether you know about good articles on how to handle in and Agile/Lean way big projects as apposed to try and implement the typical problematic Waterfall approach.

I still see a lot of companies struggling with this and I wanted to nurture myself about topic a little bit more.

Any articles?

Gustavo.

--

Gustavo Cebrián

--

You create your own luck - Go and explore

http://about.me/g.cebrian.garcia

Gustavo Cebrian Garcia

Feb 3, 2016, 7:50:54 AM2/3/16
to scruma...@googlegroups.com
Thanks

Thanks.

Albert Arul Prakash Rajendran

Feb 3, 2016, 9:56:08 AM2/3/16
to scruma...@googlegroups.com

Thanks,
Albert Arul Prakash
http://www.facebook.com/yourdatingguru - Sail your relationSHIP with ease
http://www.facebook.com/aapeyes - Your moments, Captured

Access your files from anywhere with a click

There are only 3 colors, 10 digits, 26 letters, 7 notes and 118 elements; its what we do with them that's important.

Thanks

Thanks.

Gustavo Cebrian Garcia

Feb 3, 2016, 10:35:13 AM2/3/16
to scruma...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Probably this one

will be the best for me at this moment.

- Thanks Albert !!!

Gustavo.

Jeff Sieffert

Feb 3, 2016, 12:46:30 PM2/3/16
to Scrum Alliance - transforming the world of work.
The size of the project really has no bearing when talking Agile. Every single task is broken down into small manageable pieces that can be easily estimated and completed. The larger the project you have just equates to more tasks. The most difficult thing to manage will then become keeping all of those tasks prioritized effectively.

Gustavo Cebrian Garcia

Feb 3, 2016, 1:21:16 PM2/3/16
to scruma...@googlegroups.com
Hello Jeff,

I understand that. However, Many Scrum Master recommend not to have projects bigger/longer than 3/4 months (Mike Cohn also says this), and many clients and big consultancy companies do not understand that. How do you tackle this?

Well, some Project Managers (not Scrum Masters ) just have to do about estimating the whole project as the clinets wants that. usually 1 year projects are a disaster.( in my experience )

What do you think ?

Thanks.

Ron Jeffries

Feb 3, 2016, 1:27:14 PM2/3/16
to scruma...@googlegroups.com
Jeff,

On Feb 3, 2016, at 11:03 AM, Jeff Sieffert <je...@spiekerpoint.com> wrote:

The size of the project really has no bearing when talking Agile. Every single task is broken down into small manageable pieces that can be easily estimated and completed. The larger the project you have just equates to more tasks. The most difficult thing to manage will then become keeping all of those tasks prioritized effectively.

Among the issues with large projects, I’d include:

  • integrating software among many teams so that “working software” can be the primary measurement of progress;
  • getting a large number of decision makers working together so that we can focus on individuals and interactions, not processes, tools, and contracts;
  • connecting customers to developers across and up and down large hierarchical organizations;
  • coordinating a large number of developers to permit responding to change;
  • working around an organization that is chock full of managers who think they get to tell people what to do;

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is.”
  — Johannes Lambertus Adriana van de Snepscheut, perhaps.

Ron Jeffries
Sometimes you just have to stop holding on with both hands, both feet, and your tail, to get someplace better.
Of course you might plummet to the earth and die, but probably not: you were made for this.

Mark Levison

Feb 3, 2016, 1:49:11 PM2/3/16
to scrumalliance

Gustavo the article of dated. The state of the art has moved a long way in that time. Look at less.works for some ideas.

Hint from personal experience many ERP implantations fail because there is a large gap between the capability of the tools, the goals of the customer and the quality of the data. Agile would force people to confront the disconnect early.

Cheers
Mark

Gustavo Cebrian Garcia

Feb 3, 2016, 2:31:52 PM2/3/16
to scruma...@googlegroups.com
Mark,

Could you please explain more in detail.

I have my ideas, but what would you say to a consulting company that tells you.

"I have 1000 pages requirements document" , how are you going to get this project with three other competing companies?

Thanks.

Mark Levison

Feb 3, 2016, 3:00:35 PM2/3/16
to scrumalliance
Gustavo - that is vastly beyond what I can do in a short email. Books have been written in this area. Here are my current list of references in this area: https://agilepainrelief.com/scrummaster-resources-and-references#agile-business-intelligence-and-datawarehousing

My only point is this already being done, it can work.

Back to writing my own book.

Cheers
Mark

headshot-square-300x300Mark Levison | 1 (877) 248-8277Twitter | LinkedIn | Facebook
Certified ScrumMaster Training: Vancouver | Edmonton | Ottawa | Montreal | Toronto
Certified Product Owner & Private Training also available ~ Our Training Schedule
Agile Pain Relief Consulting | Notes from a Tool User
Proud Sponsor of Agile Tour Gatineau Ottawa and Agile Coach Camp Canada