bottom-up task resizing

dotnetguy

Mar 8, 2015, 5:23:16 PM3/8/15
to scruma...@googlegroups.com
Hello, if a team sizes a story and assigns hours to tasks then does Scrum allow the developer who actually ends up working on the task to resize it after he starts working on it?  Group estimation techniques add a lot of value but I've noticed that sometimes a group estimate can be used as a type of top-down estimate for the person who actually does the work.  Therefore, the developer who actually ends up working on the task should have the right to resize the task as he sees fit imho.  What is your opinion?

John Miller

Mar 8, 2015, 5:44:44 PM3/8/15
to scruma...@googlegroups.com
Scrum neither allows it or disallows it. Sizing is an optional practice in Scrum.

What would be the point of re-estimating? How would it benefit getting to working software?

If you do size, it is to give a forecast of effort/time so one can choose the appropriate amount in Sprint Planning.

Once you are in your Sprint, that purpose is no longer needed.

Seems like you would be adding more waste to the process by spending time to get more accurate estimates versus actually spending energy to make progress.

Thank You,
John Miller
Agile Classrooms
Clarity.Choice.Collaboration

On Mar 8, 2015, at 2:23 PM, dotnetguy <andrew.d....@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello, if a team sizes a story and assigns hours to tasks then does Scrum allow the developer who actually ends up working on the task to resize it after he starts working on it?  Group estimation techniques add a lot of value but I've noticed that sometimes a group estimate can be used as a type of top-down estimate for the person who actually does the work.  Therefore, the developer who actually ends up working on the task should have the right to resize the task as he sees fit imho.  What is your opinion?

Albert Arul Prakash Rajendran

Mar 8, 2015, 10:00:46 PM3/8/15
to scruma...@googlegroups.com

I would ask the actual developer on how does an estimate that was provided during planning matters. Answer to this helps us understand the real issue.

An estimate is just an estimate. It is just a starting point to kick start our journey.