Quality Assurance for Scrum Projects

Bruno Martinez

Jun 19, 2016, 6:05:42 PM6/19/16
to Scrum Alliance - transforming the world of work.
Hello,

I'm looking for information about how to implement Quality Assurance for Scrum Projects as an IT Service ?
What could be the methodology?

Thank you for sharing information

Yves Hanoulle

Jun 19, 2016, 7:30:15 PM6/19/16
to scrumalliance
Hi Bruno,
I'm confused about your question.

is your question about

A) Quality assurance in scrum?
B) scrum projects for IT service? (what is IT service for you)
C) QA for IT service?
D) QA methodology when using scrum?

Yves Hanoulle
Current community projects that need YOUR help:

George Dinwiddie

Jun 19, 2016, 8:08:56 PM6/19/16
to scruma...@googlegroups.com
Bruno,

On 6/19/16 4:08 PM, Bruno Martinez wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm looking for information about how to implement Quality Assurance for
> Scrum Projects as an IT Service ?
> What could be the methodology?

The standard Scrum methodology is for the programmers and testers to
collaborate with the product owner to assure the needed quality. There
are many techniques they can employ as they do this, but the starting
point is for everyone to choose to do so.

- George

Alan Dayley

Jun 20, 2016, 1:04:01 PM6/20/16
to scruma...@googlegroups.com
Bruno,

It's good that you are engaging here on this question.  The wording of your question implies some things that I feel to point out.

"Scrum Projects" is not a Scrum term, nor an Agile Term. Agile and Scrum define Scrum Teams. The use of the term "Scrum Projects" points to a culture or work structure centered on projects. This is the traditional way of defining work. Agile principles ask us to define the work to support true teams.

"Quality Assurance ... as an IT Service" implies that QA is outside of the teams doing the work. This idea is not all bad, especially for work that must comply with high regulation or high security. However, as George states, Agile principles and Scrum expect all the skills and all the work to be contained within the teams, that quality is the responsibility of everyone.

I proved the two clarifications above by way of context for the answers you may get. In other words, your statements already imply an expectation that is contrary to basic Agile principles. Some of our answers might be for your organization to change their basic assumptions in order to be more aligned with Agile and Scrum ideas.

That said, I would say that for a QA group to serve Scrum Teams doing projects, that group would be mentoring, supporting. They would be building environments, processes and structures that allow the teams do do QA for themselves as much as possible. And the QA group would help with specialized knowledge and doing some tests that might be too deep or too specialized for every team to do on their own.

So the pattern for a QA service would be one of helping and specialty knowledge.

Alan

Ron Jeffries

Jun 20, 2016, 1:23:36 PM6/20/16
to scruma...@googlegroups.com
Bruno,

On Jun 20, 2016, at 1:03 PM, Alan Dayley <ada...@gmail.com> wrote:

I proved the two clarifications above by way of context for the answers you may get. In other words, your statements already imply an expectation that is contrary to basic Agile principles. Some of our answers might be for your organization to change their basic assumptions in order to be more aligned with Agile and Scrum ideas.

That said, I would say that for a QA group to serve Scrum Teams doing projects, that group would be mentoring, supporting. They would be building environments, processes and structures that allow the teams do do QA for themselves as much as possible. And the QA group would help with specialized knowledge and doing some tests that might be too deep or too specialized for every team to do on their own.

So the pattern for a QA service would be one of helping and specialty knowledge.

I agree entirely with Alan’s background information. I would add one more strategy you might consider:

Consider providing full-time testing experts to serve directly, full-time, on the teams of the most important Scrum efforts. Their purpose would be two-fold:

  • Help those teams deliver fully tested software in each Sprint, as Scrum requires;
  • Help those teams learn to do the necessary testing without your tester, who can then move on to the next project.

Ron Jeffries
ronjeffries.com
Leave me alone, I know what I'm doing. -- Kimi Raikkonen