Agile Coach and Dev Ops

Sam Dsoca

Sep 13, 2016, 12:06:28 AM9/13/16
to scruma...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I have been working as a Scrum Master for couple of years. As a SM, my role was more as Servent leader and though I was involved in coaching it is limited to my team members.
Am trying to grow in career and knowledge.
What do I need to become an Agile Coach, How is this role different to a Scrum Master
Most coaches I saw about keep speaking about Dev Ops, are there any videos that could help a non technical person to understand Dev Ops. Is this required for becoming an Agile Coach ?

Thanks

Sam

Sam Dsoca

Sep 13, 2016, 10:20:46 AM9/13/16
to scruma...@googlegroups.com
All,

Can any one help me on the below query please.

Thank you
Sam

Michael Vizdos

Sep 13, 2016, 10:29:25 AM9/13/16
to scruma...@googlegroups.com
Hi.

I've put together a list of information for people to get started at www.CoachingScrum.com.

- Mike Vizdos
  Focus. #deliver

  [PS:: I'll cross-post this to the other list where you also asked this question]

Michael James

Sep 13, 2016, 11:26:51 AM9/13/16
to scruma...@googlegroups.com
On Sep 13, 2016, at 7:20 AM, Sam Dsoca <samd...@gmail.com> wrote:

I have been working as a Scrum Master for couple of years. As a SM, my role was more as Servent leader and though I was involved in coaching it is limited to my team members.

I’m disturbed by the idea a Scrum Master should only coach team members, and curious where this idea comes from.  As I see it, the Scrum Master is a change agent in the organization.  I’ve taken the graph below from https://less.works/less/structure/scrummaster.html .  My guess is that this leaves a lot of room to grow, including learning about devops.

—mj
(Michael)

John Miller

Sep 13, 2016, 11:58:18 AM9/13/16
to scruma...@googlegroups.com
MJ,

Of course the SM can coach the org.
But, the SM's focus is usually the team.
This takes time. Often lots of time.
Coaching the organization as a whole takes a whole lot of time.  A whole lot. It is the same issue we see when a SM is split to be a SM for multiple teams, they lose focus and impact, underserving all teams. In this case, they are split between the team they serve and the many many teams that makeup "the organization".

And, often different coaching competencies than what the SM might need coaching their team.

An SM can help to improve the org when it impacts their team, much like refactoring using Martin Fowler's "strangler approach".
But, it would be very tough to coach leadership, culture change, HR, change, etc.... In the whole org and actually be a SM for a team.

And, not to mention that the organization needs to invite a coach to actually coach them. This often does not happen with a SM but does happen with someone with terrible titles like organizational coach/enterprise coach.

This may not always true, but in most cases, is true, especially in larger environments.
A SM can not do it all, as awesome as she is.

A SM might be served to be T-shaped. Perhaps part of their T is Devops. I would think it would be very useful, especially since many Scrum teams would interface with a Devops team. They might even help to nurture the Devops seed where it does not exist. But, it would be hard to truly grow Devops somewhere else and be a dedicated SM to her team.

Thanks,
John Miller
Scrum Alliance Certified Enterprise Coach
<xscrummaster_focus_over_time.png>

—mj
(Michael)

Thanks,
John Miller
Scrum Alliance Certified Enterprise Coach
<xscrummaster_focus_over_time.png>

—mj
(Michael)

Dan Rawsthorne

Sep 13, 2016, 12:19:07 PM9/13/16
to scruma...@googlegroups.com

MJ is right, I think. The ScrumMaster is required to be a change agent within the organization. But, as the graph he sent out shows, the focus could be on the Team for a long time...

Dan Rawsthorne, PhD, PMP, CST
3Back.com
1-855-32-3BACK x323
Author of:
   Exploring Scrum: the Fundamentals
   Exploring Scrum: Patterns that Make Scrum Work
Download our free eBook, Scrum 101: a Pocket Guide

John Miller

Sep 13, 2016, 12:25:52 PM9/13/16
to scruma...@googlegroups.com
I agree. Change agent yes. Even some powerful organizational impacts.
An effective org coach, probably not, at least not while simultaneously trying to be an effective SM for their team.

Of course, I am always growing and learning, maybe there is a way to do both really well, and would love to hear how it can and does happen.

Thanks,
John Miller
Scrum Alliance Certified Enterprise Coach

Michael James

Sep 13, 2016, 12:30:45 PM9/13/16
to scruma...@googlegroups.com
In most cases that I’ve seen, after some time the team’s impact on the world is more limited by the outer organization than their own internal teamwork.  “Some time” is deliberately left undefined on the graph.  But Sam wrote that he’s been at this for a couple years, and I would speculate he’s passed that crossover point by now.

—mj
(Michael)

John Miller

Sep 13, 2016, 12:49:00 PM9/13/16
to scruma...@googlegroups.com
And I missed the original point, sorry.
Yes, a SM = Agile Coach.

Thanks,
John Miller
Scrum Alliance Certified Enterprise Coach

Michael James

Sep 13, 2016, 1:02:41 PM9/13/16
to scruma...@googlegroups.com
I had two more thoughts about Sam’s original post (which may or may not be relevant to his situation):

1)  Internal teamwork issues are often caused or exacerbated by external factors.  For example, our organization has a “dev manager” and a “QA manager”, so our team has people working for different bosses.  Or our organization still conducts performance appraisals, has a job title ladder, etc.  If the team retrospectives are working really well, they should reveal external issues which I’d like Scrum Masters to try to change.

2) I noticed the phrase “non technical.”  Yet I’ve seen formerly “non technical” people collaborate on code.  I’ve seen that “non technical” people can often distinguish good code from bad code.  So now I’m wondering what it means to be non technical, especially whether it must be a permanent state.

—mj
(Michael)

Ron Jeffries

Sep 13, 2016, 1:08:32 PM9/13/16
to scruma...@googlegroups.com
MJ,

You’re right on:

On Sep 13, 2016, at 11:26 AM, Michael James <mj4s...@gmail.com> wrote:

I’m disturbed by the idea a Scrum Master should only coach team members, and curious where this idea comes from.  As I see it, the Scrum Master is a change agent in the organization.

I realize that it has become no longer trendy to refer to the Scrum Guide for Scrum guidance, but in fact the Scrum Guide makes it very clear that the Scrum Master has a very strong responsibility to serve the entire organization.

Ron Jeffries
ronjeffries.com
Impossible is not a fact. It is an opinion.  -- Muhammad Ali

John Miller

Sep 13, 2016, 1:13:27 PM9/13/16
to scruma...@googlegroups.com
Love it.
Might be interesting to expand this and do a retro on 4 integral quadrants.
image1.JPG

Thanks,
John Miller
Scrum Alliance Certified Enterprise Coach

Pierre Neis

Sep 13, 2016, 4:50:20 PM9/13/16
to scrumalliance
According that this question raises up in a Scrum Alliance discussion, I believe that I must make a difference between Scrum Coaching and Agile Coaching.
Usually, the next steps in a Scrum Master career could be:
- gaining experience in a large scrum organisation: multiple teams
- then some kind of "chief-scrum master" to facilitate and coordinate the effort of a team of scrum masters
- then Scrum Coaching
- then Agile Coaching where the focus is given to distille agile culture through different kind of works: projects, product development, processes and transactional work

What skills to grab?
- coaching techniques (personal development)
- systemic coaching, solution focused coaching and system thinking
- complex adaptive systems theory and how to interact and lead it
- facilitation
- organisational development
- change and cultural shift

Recommendation:
- it's quite boring for engineering to listen to business talks
- it's quite boring for business to listen to engineer talks
- try to keep a clear communication and never presume that the whole universe knows agile or scrum

Never forget key values:
- fill the gaps
- facilitate
- inspect and adapt
- deliver early and often
- treat people like adults
- ask the team

PierreNEIS
Senior Lean Agile Coach | Associate
M+352 / 661 727 867
UK+44 / 203 239 52 60
wecompany.me | You can book me

Actually Scrum Coach for S4HANA/Hybris Billing @ SAP SE

BOOK Me: HERE

On Sep 13, 2016, at 8:26 AM, Michael James <mj4s...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sep 13, 2016, at 7:20 AM, Sam Dsoca <samd...@gmail.com> wrote:

I have been working as a Scrum Master for couple of years. As a SM, my role was more as Servent leader and though I was involved in coaching it is limited to my team members.

I’m disturbed by the idea a Scrum Master should only coach team members, and curious where this idea comes from.  As I see it, the Scrum Master is a change agent in the organization.  I’ve taken the graph below from https://less.works/less/structure/scrummaster.html .  My guess is that this leaves a lot of room to grow, including learning about devops.

<xscrummaster_focus_over_time.png>

—mj
(Michael)

Sam Dsoca

Sep 15, 2016, 5:35:16 AM9/15/16
to scruma...@googlegroups.com
Thanks every one,

Apologies couldn't respond earlier, was on long distance flight.

So basically just to clarify my question or my situation.

  • I have been working as a SM for 4+ years
  • Have moulded my role as a delivery specify SM or a delivery manager role where I worked with multiple teams and delivered successful (Delivered value to the client, team had fun delivering items, consistent delivery, team improvement, people improvement etc) projects
  • However I have observed that some of the programs that I have worked failed. Please understand, the projects that I handled worked well, but programs such as transformational programs have failed as other areas i.e parts that were handled else where didn't deliver.
  • In my first mail, I was referring to how I could have helped the program i.e beyond my influence on the team. This is at very senior level i.e board level etc.
  • How can I influence them when the time you get from them is limited and how do I build confidence
  • Also on DEV ops side, I havent done anything nor have worked on any company that worked with the concept.

Thanks
Sam

Michael Vizdos

Sep 15, 2016, 6:45:07 AM9/15/16
to scruma...@googlegroups.com
Sam,

When you get time at the senior level ask open-ended questions.  Listen.

One of the questions I like to ask is, "What is keeping you up at night regarding ______?"

I build confidence at that level by working with the teams to #deliver.

It changes the conversations over time.

If you want to get involved with DevOps (and that seems to be defined differently at each organization and possibly different vendors)... DO it!  Check out meetup.com or other places to see if there is a local DevOps group meeting [in Richmond, Virginia there are many options in this sleepy little place that could keep you busy and learning constantly!].

Good luck with what is next!

Thank you.

- michael vizdos

 Focus. #deliver

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/scrumalliance.
[...]

John Miller

Sep 15, 2016, 10:33:47 AM9/15/16
to scruma...@googlegroups.com
+1 Mike.
Enjoying your message of encouragement.

For Senior leadership, I've found "telling" does not work very well, at least not at first.

What I have learned to do is to create a structured environment for them to dialogue about their problems and hopes
I use different approaches for this, and you will find what works for you. Mine tend to be World Cafe and an activity I created called Bells & Smells for them as a group to identify what common patterns and anti-patterns they are experiencing.

In short time, they have a picture of the big "why" for them and a sense of urgency around pursuing it.

Regarding failure. It will happen. The farther you reach out and up, it will happen more. Your persistence and resilience will have an impact eventually.  Keep at it, Sam!

Thanks,
John Miller
Scrum Alliance Certified Enterprise Coach

Sam Dsoca

John Miller

Sep 16, 2016, 1:15:02 PM9/16/16
to scruma...@googlegroups.com
I am happy you are out there in the trenches doing good, Sam. We need more like you to help transform the world of work!

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to scrumallianc...@googlegroups.com.