Adding word completion to the REPL

erik...@tretton37.com

Feb 12, 2014, 8:39:57 AM2/12/14
to scri...@googlegroups.com
I've beefed up the REPL a bit, see https://github.com/estoy/scriptcs/tree/wordcompletion-spike.

New functionality:
  • #load gets file path completion. Just press tab any number of times and you're taken through the current possible completions of your path.
  • #r gets assembly name completion. Press tab to loop through all possisble completions that are found in the GAC and in your current directory.
  • :cwd prints the current working directory
  • :cd <path> changes directory. It of course also offers file path completion.
Known issues:
  • The history is broken. Should be a simple fix.
Further improvements:
  • "Intellisense"-style completion of expressions. This is what I really wanted to achieve. I have all the infrustructure in place and Roslyn provides the semantic analysis that I need but I cannot find a way to access this so that it is done within the current session. Any ideas on how to achieve this?
So my question is, should I continue this work?

/Erik

Erik Stoy

Feb 17, 2014, 12:56:17 PM2/17/14
to scri...@googlegroups.com
OK. So it's been a week since I posted this and no-one has replied. I guess this means that I should not go any further with his. I would, however, appreciate som feedback: What was wrong with my proposal? Is the new functionality not of interest to the project? Is there something wrong with my solution? Or is it something else? Please, let me know so that I can do better in the future.

Erik

Glenn Block

Feb 17, 2014, 6:02:51 PM2/17/14
to Erik Stoy, scri...@googlegroups.com
Hi Erik

Thanks for your effort! Generally the way to move this forward is to send is a pull request, then folks will review it.

Can you do that?