Help Needed

Dhruv Khattar

Jan 20, 2016, 1:13:17 PM1/20/16
to scrapy-users

I am in my sophomore year and would like to start contributing.
I would be highly grateful if someone could help me get started.

Steven Almeroth

Jan 21, 2016, 6:21:52 PM1/21/16
to scrapy-users
Hi Dhruv, your help is welcome.  Here are a few pointers that come to mind:

Get familiar with the command line; that's where developers spend their test iterations.

Setup a virual working environment:

$ mkvirtualenv dhruv-scrapy

Create a directory to work in:

$ mkdir ~/Scrapy

Setup Scrapy so you have the dependencies installed:

$ pip install scrapy

Fork scrapy from Github: (click the "Fork" button, Github account required)

Install & configure Git:

Clone your fork:

$ git clone g...@github.com:dhruv/scrapy.git

Install your fork:

$ pip install -e ~/Scrapy/scrapy

Run the tests:

If you get the all-green from the tox tests then you're ready to contribute.

See the contribution page:

And select some easy tickets to start with:

Start writing some spiders and play with the code.

Good luck and have fun.  +steven