Difficulty in installing scrapy

Kriti Rohilla

Nov 6, 2016, 8:50:47 AM11/6/16
to scrapy-users
Hello Sir,
I am new to Scrapy and I am trying to install it in Ubuntu linux. I have installed all dependencies. Here are the commands I have used:
sudo apt-get install python-dev python-pip libxml2-dev libxslt1-dev zlib1g-dev libffi-dev libssl-dev

also I have pip version 9.0.0 and cryptography and lxml installed.
Now when I try to run "pip install scrapy" to install scrapy whether inside or outside the virtual env,
I get the following :

Retrying (Retry(total=4, connect=None, read=None, redirect=None)) after connection broken by 'NewConnectionError('<pip._vendor.requests.packages.urllib3.connection.VerifiedHTTPSConnection object at 0x7f92c3c06320>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno -2] Name or service not known',)': /simple/scrapy/
Retrying (Retry(total=3, connect=None, read=None, redirect=None)) after connection broken by 'NewConnectionError('<pip._vendor.requests.packages.urllib3.connection.VerifiedHTTPSConnection object at 0x7f92c3c065f8>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno -2] Name or service not known',)': /simple/scrapy/
Retrying (Retry(total=2, connect=None, read=None, redirect=None)) after connection broken by 'NewConnectionError('<pip._vendor.requests.packages.urllib3.connection.VerifiedHTTPSConnection object at 0x7f92c3c064a8>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno -2] Name or service not known',)': /simple/scrapy/
Retrying (Retry(total=1, connect=None, read=None, redirect=None)) after connection broken by 'NewConnectionError('<pip._vendor.requests.packages.urllib3.connection.VerifiedHTTPSConnection object at 0x7f92c3c06208>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno -2] Name or service not known',)': /simple/scrapy/
Retrying (Retry(total=0, connect=None, read=None, redirect=None)) after connection broken by 'NewConnectionError('<pip._vendor.requests.packages.urllib3.connection.VerifiedHTTPSConnection object at 0x7f92c3c06668>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno -2] Name or service not known',)': /simple/scrapy/
Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement scrapy (from versions: )
No matching distribution found for scrapy

What should I do? Please help.

Regards
Kriti Rohilla

Sayth Renshaw

Nov 7, 2016, 4:38:57 AM11/7/16
to scrapy-users
Which python version are you using system 2.7?

Try using pyenv https://github.com/yyuu/pyenv and then installing the python version you want. Works better than tangling system instals and virtual instals.

Although possible scrapy just updated version snd mirrors hadnt synced.

Sayth