Migration from cvs to scm

Amit Meshram

Jun 3, 2014, 6:28:32 PM6/3/14
to scmma...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

We are planning to migrate our codebase from CVS to SCM.  I have created the dump from CVS using CVS2SVN tool.Can you please help me to understand how can I load the CVS dump to SCM?
Also, can you please provide the details on which SVN version is used in SCM or which version of SVN spec it implements?

Thanks,
Amit

Daniel Huchthausen

Jun 4, 2014, 2:47:52 AM6/4/14
to scmma...@googlegroups.com
Hi Amit,

SCM-Manager stores repositories in the .scm path which is located in the home directory of the running user, for Linux this could be /usr/share/tomcat7/.scm/repositories/svn. So you have to copy your repositories to this directory. After that you start SCM-Manager, click on "Import Repositories" in SCM-Manager and select SVN in the appearing dialog box. Your repositories will be displayed immediately. Based on the experience with our support customers this should work without problems. If problems occur after all, you could contact us and we can work that out.

In the "Repository Types" screen of SCM-Manager you can define the repository directory and select an SVN compatibility mode. SCM-Manager 1.38 uses SVNkit 1.8.5, depending on your version of SCM-Manager the SVNkit version can differ.

with kind regards,
Daniel

--
SCM-Manager supported by TRIOLOGY

Web: www.scm-manager.com

Stay tuned to the latest news by using the following links
google+ : http://www.scm-manager.com/+
facebook: http://www.facebook.com/scmmanager
twitter: https://twitter.com/SCM_Manager

Amit Meshram

Jun 4, 2014, 1:11:02 PM6/4/14
to scmma...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Daniel for the reply.
When you say copy the repositories in .scm/repositories/svn, do you mean to copy respository directly from CVS to this location and do not use any dump to be imported? Will all the history of CVS repository will also be available in SVN after importing in this manner?

Thanks,
Amit

Amit Meshram

Jun 4, 2014, 2:42:30 PM6/4/14
to scmma...@googlegroups.com
I also tried to copy the CVS repository into .scm/repositories/svn folder, but it did not appear in the Import repository dialogue after restart. May be because it is not a SVN repo.

Thanks,
Amit

Daniel Huchthausen

Jun 5, 2014, 2:23:19 AM6/5/14
to scmma...@googlegroups.com
Hi Amit,

you should copy the SVN repositories that you created by using cvs2svn into the .scm/repositories/svn folder.
Depending on the option that you used to convert your CVS repositories to SVN you will see the history in SCM-Manager. By default cvs2svn uses "full conversion", this means that you should see the complete history in SCM-Manager.

with kind regards,
Daniel

--
SCM-Manager supported by TRIOLOGY

Web: www.scm-manager.com

Stay tuned to the latest news by using the following links
google+ : http://www.scm-manager.com/+
facebook: http://www.facebook.com/scmmanager
twitter: https://twitter.com/SCM_Manager

Amit Meshram

Jun 5, 2014, 2:37:32 PM6/5/14
to scmma...@googlegroups.com
Thank a lot Daniel for your inputs. It worked fine.

Thanks,
Amit