Problems with Linux kernel git repo

Timothy

Jun 29, 2015, 4:36:09 PM6/29/15
to scmma...@googlegroups.com
I've got a user that pushed his clone of Wind River's Linux kernel git repo up to our SCM Manager server running v1.38.  The server is Linux based and running the standalone scm-server script.

The steps we took were:

1) Created an empty git repo via SCM Manager UI on our server.
2) User updated the origin URL in his config to the URL given in the SCM Manager UI
3) User pushed his 'bare' git repo

The push ran to completion and for all purposes appears to have worked.  We are now encountering a few problems as a result of that:

1) The SCM Manager activity tab indicates "Loading" for some time.  That notification then disappears and the content on the activity tab is left blank.  Previously, this was filled with info about other repo commits, etc.
2) Visiting the SCM Manager URL for the repo (slowly) brings up the branches & commit notes.  However, it updates very slowly and the page never seems to completely load even after an extensive amount of time (10-15 minutes).
3) Attempting to clone this pushed repo fails and causes the scm-server service to peg the CPU at 99% loading according to "top".  Memory hovers around 50-60% during this time.
4) The clone attempt then appears to hang indefinitely and the SCM Manager quits responding.  You can no longer access the SCM Manager web page.  The only way to get things running again is to stop and restart the scm-server service.

I tried to upgrade to SCM Manager v1.46 to see if that behaved any differently but didn't see any change.

To hopefully rule out the git repo itself as the problem, I'm currently running 'git fsck' against it.

Any ideas what else I should be looking at in order to troubleshoot this?

Thanks,
--tim

Timothy

Jun 30, 2015, 12:03:55 PM6/30/15
to scmma...@googlegroups.com
This appears to be an issue with the capabilities of the server rather than SCM Manager.  We duplicated the SCM Manager configuration on a separate machine that has better hardware specs and pushed the repo up to that.  We saw similar issues as before (slow git URL processing, empty Activities tab), but those resolved themselves within about an hour.  Further, we were able to clone successfully after the push.

My guess is that the original server is simply slow at processing things.  I'm assuming things would have eventually worked out if we had given it enough time to crunch on the repo data.

--tim

Sebastian Sdorra

Jul 1, 2015, 3:53:03 PM7/1/15
to scmma...@googlegroups.com
I've done some performance tests for list and browser with the linux kernel repository. I think i've found some points, which i can optimise to get a better performance for large repositories. I will try to increase the performance for the next scm-manager release.

Sebastian

Timothy Scott

Jul 1, 2015, 4:17:09 PM7/1/15
to scmma...@googlegroups.com
Sebastian,

Great to hear!  Also, thanks for the excellent tool!!!  It definitely makes managing repos very easy.

--tim