internal user lookup case-sensitive?

pytho...@gmail.com

Jul 7, 2014, 9:33:32 AM7/7/14
to scmma...@googlegroups.com

Hi all,

I'm having an issue which seem to imply that the internal user lookup is case-sensitive.

Some details about my setup:

  • SCM: latest (tried several, no change)
  • LDAP authentication, towards the company's AD

The tricky bit is that user names in the AD are not all-lower case (*might* be of the format: AbcDefgh). (this is a fact I can not control). As windos is case-insensitive, this is not a problem for almost all cases.

I'm creating repositories using the REST API invoked from a web application. This uses the currently http-authenticated user, which is in lower case.

Now, to the actualy problem! In the REST API call I specify the user name to be the owner of the created repository. This does not work...

SCM manager does not equate "abcdefgh" (entered as owner) and "AbcDefgh" (internal user name), so the repository is inaccessible.

If I change the owner user name in the REST API call by upper casing the 1:st and 4:th letter it works. The problem is that not all user names in the AD have this casing syntax. :-/

This was probably a very complicated way to describe something quite simple... I hope I made myself clear.

/André

Sebastian Sdorra

Jul 13, 2014, 11:18:20 AM7/13/14
to scmma...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
i understand the problem, but we could not change the behaviour. This would break other existing installations. I will check if we could change the behaviour with a plugin.

Sebastian

pytho...@gmail.com

Jul 16, 2014, 5:05:51 AM7/16/14
to scmma...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I also think that having it case-sensitive is the Correct Thing to do. M$ AD is the one doing it wrong (and our population of it).

Anyway, I had an idea: I can perform my own user lookup before creating the repos. Using UserResource to retrieve all users and then finding the corresponding user (with correct casing) by matching it case-insensitive with the user name I have.

Haven't tried it yet, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work, and it's an acceptable workaround. For me, at least.

/André