[ANN] A blog post about using NMatrix to achieve a 400x boost on matrix multiplication

Abinoam Praxedes Marques Junior

May 8, 2017, 2:45:20 PM5/8/17
to SciRuby Development
Hi all,

I've just made a small blog post with a benchmark of NMatrix#dot.
I hope you enjoy!

http://abinoam.tl1n.com/400x-faster-matrix-multiplication-for-ruby/

At twitter: https://twitter.com/abinoamjr_en/status/861628976787324928

Abinoam Jr.

Prasun Anand

May 8, 2017, 2:58:46 PM5/8/17
to sciru...@googlegroups.com
Hi Abionam,

Nice work!

In the code I see 200 and 800 elements. You should try with more no. of elements.

Also, if you try using nmatrix-atlas instead of nmatrix, you go 8000x faster.

Regards,
Prasun

John Woods

May 8, 2017, 3:14:19 PM5/8/17
to sciru...@googlegroups.com
This is nice to read. Thanks for the compliments. :)

Abinoam Praxedes Marques Junior

May 8, 2017, 3:17:22 PM5/8/17
to SciRuby Development
Hi Prasun,

I'm really a newcomer on this field! I just was amazed how NMatrix can be helpful.
So, don't understand much about ATLAS, etc.

But, 8000x!?! I'll have to try it!

Thanks for the feedback.
I wrote the blog post so more Ruby devs get to know NMatrix and SciRuby.

Best regards,
Abinoam Jr.

Pjotr Prins

May 8, 2017, 3:20:51 PM5/8/17
to sciru...@googlegroups.com
And then we'll be adding GPU support this summer...

Prasun Anand

May 8, 2017, 3:24:08 PM5/8/17
to sciru...@googlegroups.com
Yes. NMatrix is indeed helpful.  I guess you can make more tweaks.

SciRuby appreciates your effort. Its a good first try ;) .

Regards,
Prasun