[GSOC2018][RubyPlot-GR][18-6-2018]Created the Bar graph Functionality based on our discussion yesterday

Pranav Garg

Jun 19, 2018, 8:41:14 AM6/19/18
to Sameer Deshmukh, Prasun Anand, SciRuby Mailing List
Greetings
As per our discussion yesterday I have worked on getting the title to work as well as tomorrow's goal of creating the bar graph. I created a branch of the GRruby-extension here

Tomorrow I will work on making it flexible and will be updating certain design changes in API that I felt are needed on Github Projects.
Here are the link to today's commits:

Bar2.png
Bar.jpg

Sameer Deshmukh

Jun 19, 2018, 8:51:03 AM6/19/18
to Pranav Garg, Prasun Anand, SciRuby Mailing List, Arafat Khan

Great! You're getting the hang of it.

Now here's the next task - completely specify the Artist interface and post it on the GitHub issue. Everybody will pool in. Take a day for doing your research. Also, don't forget to add a gemspec and installation instructions in the README of your project.

If Arafat is happy with the fact that Bar charts are a part of the Artists, I would suggest that you continue with building all the Artists that Arafat has created so far. Arafat can you please post your thoughts on this thread?

Sameer Deshmukh

Jun 19, 2018, 9:43:28 AM6/19/18
to Pranav Garg, Prasun Anand, SciRuby Mailing List

There are some serious issues in your design. See this: https://github.com/pgtgrly/GRruby-extension/issues/7

Correct it ASAP.

Also, for the next few days put in more work that you normally do. 10+ hours every day for 2 weeks should be the norm.

Sameer Deshmukh

Jun 20, 2018, 12:27:18 AM6/20/18
to Pranav Garg, SciRuby Mailing List, Prasun Anand, Arafat Khan

Pranav:

Alright.

Complete the following surveys before tonight's interview:

  • Think about the different Artist APIs that you will need and write them down in the github issue https://github.com/SciRuby/rubyplot/issues/1
  • Preferably have a GTalk with Arafat before we start and clarify anything that you think you have a problem with in the artists. Create as much of a knowledge base about your API implementation before you talk to Arafat (meaning have very specific example code ready which you can show). Focus on the following points in your conversation with Arafat:
    • How might the Artist API and its subsequent subclasses change in the future?
    • Is it appropriate to build this API the way it is or is there some other way you can build it?
    • How does Arafat expect actual users to use the Artists? Directly or through a scripting layer?

The tasks that we will do in today's pair programming are as follows:

  • Clear your code of any and all code smell.
  • Properly setup test suites.
  • Write some sample tasks for some GR artists that you have surveyed using the above methodology.
  • Learn how to write good and useful tests.

On 06/20/2018 12:34 PM, Pranav Garg wrote:
Hey Sameer,
I am on it. I will make the changes to the API and will try to push it before noon.
I was going through the issues on GitHub. Some of the hard-coded parameters are put in as they are an absolute necessity for Bar graphs such as view port.
Others (like Bar colour, Character sizes etc) will be exchanged for variables that can be defined by users as the Artist Layer develops further.

Regards
PG