GSoC 2018

TUSHAR SINHA

Feb 20, 2018, 11:03:57 AM2/20/18
to SciRuby Development
Hello SciRuby community. I am a third year undergraduate student from IIT Kharagpur, India. I have experience in working with C++ and Python. I had a look on the project ideas for GSoC 2018 and found the ones on Ruby Matplotlib and Red Visualizer to be interesting and I think I can make contributions to them. I am right now trying to understand the code base of SciRuby and would start making contributions as soon as I develop a fair understanding of the code base.

Also I request the people here to suggest me some sources to read which can help me in developing a plan to implement the project on Ruby Matplotlib.

Thanks in advance.

Prasun Anand

Feb 21, 2018, 10:09:10 AM2/21/18
to SciRuby Mailing List
Hi Tushar,

If you are interested in working on Matplotlib , please start here:
http://www.aosabook.org/en/matplotlib.html

Once you are familiar with very basics, I would suggest you to study codebase of
matplotlib which can be found here: https://github.com/matplotlib/matplotlib

Share what you understand from it and we can help you further.

Best,
Prasun

TUSHAR SINHA

Mar 6, 2018, 1:13:19 AM3/6/18
to SciRuby Development

Hii Prasun,
Sorry for the late reply but I had my mid semester examinations going on and hence I couldn't devote much time to go through the code base of Matplotlib. I have spent time in understanding the code base of matplotlib and I fairly understood its implementation. But, one concern that I have is that matplotlib is very huge and implementing whole of in a span of 3 months seems a very difficult task to me. Is it possible to break it down and implement a part of it as a GSoC project ? If yes, what all things you think have the priority and should be implemented first ? Please let me know as soon as possible so that I can start working on my proposal.

Regards

Tushar

Prasun Anand

Mar 6, 2018, 11:06:49 AM3/6/18
to SciRuby Mailing List
Hi Tushar,

We know its a huge project. Also, SciRuby is willing to accomodate more students on this project. Why don't you come up with a line graph using a C API with AGG?

You will then be in a position to define the deliverables for the summer.

Also note: We need to see some code :)
(Need not be perfect.)

Best,
Prasun

TUSHAR SINHA

Mar 7, 2018, 12:16:55 PM3/7/18
to sciru...@googlegroups.com
Hii Prasun,
Thanks for the feedback.

http://iitkgp.ac.in/

Tushar Sinha
Third-year Undergraduate Student
Department of Electrical Engineering
Indian Institute of Technology
Kharagpur, India
Official email: bikzt...@iitkgp.ac.in
Phone number: +91-9932560655

TUSHAR SINHA

Mar 7, 2018, 12:28:52 PM3/7/18
to sciru...@googlegroups.com
Hii Prasun,
Thanks for the feedback. I like your suggestion of writing the code for a line graph and then deciding how much of Matplotlib I will be able to implement in a span of 3 months as a GSoC project.
I have started working and I will send you the basic code (as you said it needs not be perfect :) ) as soon as possible. Also, any valuable suggestions about the resources which would help me in implementing line graph are welcome.

Regards

Tushar

John Woods

Mar 8, 2018, 4:27:43 PM3/8/18
to sciru...@googlegroups.com
Have a look at my other email on this topic. We recognize that Ruby matplotlib is a large project, and we are willing to allow students to split it up. It is also a project which we are prepared to fund beyond GSOC.

John