New IRuby version 0.2.0

Daniel Mendler

May 25, 2015, 2:44:26 PM5/25/15
to sciru...@googlegroups.com
Hey guys,

today I worked a bit on IRuby and released a new version 0.2.0
which works more or less with IPython3/Jupyter.

Changes:

* Dropped IPython2 support
* Dropped Ruby < 2.0.0 support
* Supports and requires now IPython3/Jupyter
* Switch from ffi-rzmq to rbczmq
* Added IRuby::Conn (experimental, to be used by widgets)
* iruby register/unregister commands to register IRuby kernel in
Jupyter

Please take a look!

However, there is still a lot to do:

* Find and fix the remaining bugs
* Implement the history and other missing features (see Jupyter
protocol specification)
* Get travis-ci to work (test different rubies and ipython versions)
* Improve test coverage
* Testing on different operating systems etc
* The Jupyter guys are also preparing kernel tests
(https://github.com/jupyter/jupyter_kernel_test) which we could use
* Interactive widgets/communication channels (Could be interesting for
gnuplot integration)
* Integrate with all the interesting scientific Ruby libraries out
there (I tested nyaplot and that works quite well)
* Convience try.jupyter.org to include IRuby :)

Best,
Daniel

Carlos Agarie

May 25, 2015, 4:42:11 PM5/25/15
to sciru...@googlegroups.com
Hey Daniel, this is great. I'm upgrading IRuby on my laptop and I'll
tell my coworkers to do the same. Thanks!

By the way, it might be good to announce this release on the ruby-talk
mailing list, no?

-----
Carlos Agarie
Data Scientist at Tapps Games (http://tappsgames.com)
+55 11 97320-3878 | @carlos_agarie

Ondřej Čertík

May 25, 2015, 5:05:58 PM5/25/15
to sciru...@googlegroups.com

You should also include a link to the release. I excited to play with it too.

Sent from my mobile phone.

Sameer Deshmukh

Jun 1, 2015, 6:44:02 AM6/1/15
to sciru...@googlegroups.com
Dear Daniel,

The Ruby kernel keeps dying whenever I require some code (specifically require 'statsample').

Any suggestions on what might be wrong?

Daniel Mendler

Jun 1, 2015, 8:17:14 AM6/1/15
to sciru...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sameer,

I didn't have those problems. Please try to debug it and open an issue if you have sufficient information (stacktrace etc).

I would also appreciate help with iruby. So if you are interested in providing patches, fixes, tests I will also give you commit rights.

Best,
Daniel

Am 1. Juni 2015 12:44:01 MESZ, schrieb Sameer Deshmukh <sameer.d...@gmail.com>:
>Dear Daniel,
>
>The Ruby kernel keeps dying whenever I require some code (specifically
>require 'statsample').
>
>Any suggestions on what might be wrong?
>
>On Tuesday, May 26, 2015 at 2:35:58 AM UTC+5:30, Ondřej Čertík wrote:
>>
>> You should also include a link to the release. I excited to play with
>it
>> too.
>>
>> Sent from my mobile phone.
>> On May 25, 2015 2:42 PM, "Carlos Agarie" <carlos...@gmail.com
>> <javascript:>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hey Daniel, this is great. I'm upgrading IRuby on my laptop and I'll
>>> tell my coworkers to do the same. Thanks!
>>>
>>> By the way, it might be good to announce this release on the
>ruby-talk
>>> mailing list, no?
>>>
>>> -----
>>> Carlos Agarie
>>> Data Scientist at Tapps Games (http://tappsgames.com)
>>> +55 11 97320-3878 | @carlos_agarie

>>> <javascript:>>:
>>> an email to sciruby-dev...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>.
>>>
>>> --
>send an
>>> email to sciruby-dev...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>.

Sameer Deshmukh

Jun 1, 2015, 10:26:59 AM6/1/15
to sciru...@googlegroups.com
Cool. Will try it out again tonight and let you know.

Carlos Agarie

Jun 1, 2015, 10:42:52 AM6/1/15
to sciru...@googlegroups.com
Hi Daniel,

You're doing a great job with IRuby! :)

Later this month I'll be on RuPy in São Paulo and I'll make sure to
show some cool things that IRuby + Nyaplot can do. I won't be speaking
(I wasn't aware of the call for papers until after it was over), but
I'll try to get as much feedback as possible.

-----
Carlos Agarie
Data Scientist at Tapps Games (http://tappsgames.com)
+55 11 97320-3878 | @carlos_agarie

> email to sciruby-dev...@googlegroups.com.

Daniel Mendler

Jun 1, 2015, 7:09:07 PM6/1/15
to sciru...@googlegroups.com
Hey guys!

> You're doing a great job with IRuby! :)
>
> Later this month I'll be on RuPy in São Paulo and I'll make sure to
> show some cool things that IRuby + Nyaplot can do. I won't be speaking
> (I wasn't aware of the call for papers until after it was over), but
> I'll try to get as much feedback as possible.

@Carlos: Thank you! Have fun @RuPy! It would be great if more people
start to use it. Maybe you could also encourage people to help out,
since there is still a lot to do (Especially tests and real life
examples). I see some potential at try.jupyter.org also for the
plotting/scientific gems as showcases and to promote the whole thing.

I have also seen some people working on Dockerfiles for sciruby, maybe
someone could create an "official" sciruby/sciruby-docker repository
showing how everything works together, with all the gems preinstalled?

> You should also include a link to the release. I excited to play with
>it too.

at some point when I feel it is more ready. I am looking forward to
see symengine integration with latex output in the notebook from your
gsoc student :)

Best,
Daniel