Getting Started

Zhuanhao Wu

Feb 1, 2016, 1:35:29 AM2/1/16
to SciRuby Development
Hello everyone,

My name is Zhuanhao Wu, a third year undergraduate at Nankai University, Tianjin, China. And I'm aiming for GSoC '16. I am quite interested in SciRuby because I think it is cool to enable people to do research using Ruby.

Though I am new to SciRuby and open source software community, I am wishing to contribute to the SciRuby project.

I am interested in most of the SciRuby sub-projects, but I have particular interests in `Fast Ruby to Julia bindings through LLVM' and `Ruby matplotlib' that you have mentioned in the GSoC. So would someone please provide some more details about these two projects?

I request you to please guide me on how to start contributing to SciRuby.

Thank you very much!

Zhuanhao Wu.

John Woods

Feb 1, 2016, 10:15:40 AM2/1/16
to SciRuby Development
Welcome!

What kinds of details would you like? A big part of GSoC is researching and proposing your project — not asking us to do it. =)

Glad to have you. =)

John

Zhuanhao Wu

Feb 1, 2016, 11:03:23 AM2/1/16
to SciRuby Development
Hmm...
For example, has there already been projects working on those two problems, from which I can start to learn? I mean, there has been a 'ruby matplotlib wrapper'(https://github.com/HondaDai/matplotlib-for-ruby), and nothing about 'ruby to julia' in Github (or just because it has too fancy a name to search (: ). And I noticed that some ideas have a project page attached while the others don't.

And now I understand, I may research more on these topics myself first.

Thanks a lot!

John Woods

Feb 1, 2016, 11:07:37 AM2/1/16
to SciRuby Development
This wrapper is a Ruby wrapper around a (C wrapper around a?) Python wrapper around C code. I'd much rather see the Ruby wrapper interface directly with the C code. This RubyPython project might be good for writing unit tests, so you can compare our results to the Python results, but I don't think it's a good final solution.

John

Zhuanhao Wu

Feb 1, 2016, 10:24:33 PM2/1/16
to SciRuby Development
Alright, thank you!

Zhuanhao

Zhuanhao Wu

Mar 7, 2016, 7:21:51 PM3/7/16
to SciRuby Development
Dear John,
    I'm sadly to say that I have to give up GSoC this year since I have a bunch of exams to work with, and I probably have no time for GSoC this summer. Hopefully I could have my spare time finishing that csv PR soon and I'll keep an eye on SciRuby.
    I'm greatly impressed by your patience when reviewing my code.
    Sorry for bothering and hopefully SciRuby will be accepted next year and I will be able to apply then.

Many thanks,
Zhuanhao

On Tuesday, February 2, 2016 at 11:24:33 AM UTC+8, Zhuanhao Wu wrote:
Alright, thank you!

Zhuanhao

John Woods

Mar 9, 2016, 10:48:50 AM3/9/16
to SciRuby Development
Sorry to hear that, and I hope you will apply next year, and stay involved in the meantime!