Re: Fwd: Reimplemented the logo designs

Sameer Deshmukh

Nov 14, 2017, 10:56:35 AM11/14/17
to John Woods, Pjotr Prins, Kamal Paneru, SciRuby Mailing List

I really like the logo. Its more sticker-friendly too.

Also, since we're a pretty old org and could use some change, I think a change of logos would be welcome.

However, I do agree with the antialiasing of the bubbles and that maybe they should be less in number.

Kamal, will it be possible for you to make some slight adjustments to the design?

On Tuesday 14 November 2017 01:22 AM, John Woods wrote:
Not really sure correct way to handle this. I kind of like the old one better, but I'm biased, since I made it. I'm worried about the bubbles not being antialiased, and about it having too much going on. I do like the shadow effect, though.

Nov 14, 2017, 11:19:32 AM11/14/17
to SciRuby Mailing List, John Woods, Pjotr Prins, Kamal Paneru
Hi Sameer,

Can you attach the logo file ?

We would love to see it :) .

Regards,
Prasun

Sameer Deshmukh

Nov 15, 2017, 3:41:37 AM11/15/17
to SciRuby Mailing List
Hello all,

The logos designed by Kamal can be found attached with this mail.

Please have a look.

Regards,
Sameer Deshmukh
sciruby_logo.svg
sciruby.svg

Kamal Paneru

Nov 15, 2017, 8:14:39 AM11/15/17
to SciRuby Development
Thanks... Sure I am open to Suggestions and yes adjustments are possible ...

Abinash Meher

Nov 15, 2017, 1:58:56 PM11/15/17
to SciRuby Development
Hello everyone,

Cool logo! I really liked the idea of making it material. Would give a great look to the stickers.

This reminded me of this site https://android-material-icon-generator.bitdroid.de/ I played around a bit on the site with Kamal's svg file and came up with this. Hope you don't mind me jumping in. Please feel free to make any changes.

Kindly see the png file, the svg doesn't render very well on gmail. Part of the reason why the bubbles in the previous logo looked not antialiased. The square border looks good as a favicon too.

P.S. I am also attaching the license (CC BY-NC) that the site provides.

--
Regards,
Abinash Meher

LICENSE.CC_BY_NC_3.txt
icon.svg
sciruby_icon1280.png
LICENSE.txt

John Woods

Nov 15, 2017, 4:53:51 PM11/15/17
to sciru...@googlegroups.com
Ooh. I like this one. Only concern is too much going on with the bubbles AND the ruby, but I'm on the fence about it.

Kamal Paneru

Nov 16, 2017, 5:59:10 AM11/16/17
to SciRuby Development
It looks cool, Abinash. But the flask shadow and the effect you tried to give on the background is overlapping.I guess it is because the square part(having low opacity) is above the other layers.

--
Regards,
Abinash Meher

Kamal Paneru

Nov 16, 2017, 6:22:57 AM11/16/17
to SciRuby Development
Also I've got an idea in mind to remove those bubbles and to add partially filled liquid to the flask.. Which will represent the Sciruby community efforts to dissolve ruby into science.
What do you guys think?

Kamal Paneru

Nov 16, 2017, 8:29:06 AM11/16/17
to SciRuby Development
Something like this.. not sure which one is better.
sci_ruby_anti_aliased_shadow_flask.svg

John Woods

Nov 16, 2017, 12:39:40 PM11/16/17
to sciru...@googlegroups.com
I tend to think simpler is better when it comes to logos. It seems like whenever someone needs to make a logo for a science thing, they throw in all kinds of sine waves and equations and flasks and stuff — almost like they wanted to represent every possible type of math/science/engineering. My vision with the original was to not do that. As such, I limited it to three colors (black, white, maroon), and kept the logo's symbol (the ruby in the flask) as simple as possible (also so it would work in tons of different formats, including black and white printing).

Here are things I really feel strongly about:
  • I really like the new font. It looks muuuuch better than what I used.
  • I really like that your version doesn't require a fade/blur smoke effect like my logo. I think the fade/blur looks kind of tacky.
  • I like the two-tone maroon effect with the two-tone lines. I think in this instance it's okay to add one more color.
  • I really don't like the addition of the blue. If there's going to be liquid, I think it needs to be one of the previously utilized shades of maroon. Even so, I'm concerned that the addition of the liquid makes the logo too complicated.
  • I don't like the edges around the bubbles. I think they just need to be negative with respect to the liquid, or in the absence of liquid, negative with respect to the flask. If one is split between liquid and air in the flask, it should invert where it crosses the liquid–air boundary. The edges are too hard to render when the logo is shrunk, and they'll cause problems when printing in low DPI.
  • I prefer the idea of bubbles to the idea of liquid if I were forced to make a choice between adding one or adding the other.
  • I love that the logo is a circle instead of a rectangle. This makes it much simpler for us to scale for favicons, Twitter logos, etc.
I think your most recent versions are on the way to being a major improvement over the existing logo. Good contribution.

John

Kamal Paneru

Nov 16, 2017, 2:26:52 PM11/16/17
to SciRuby Development
I too strongly believe that design should be elegant.
I added the blue color to the liquid because the ruby is maroon in color and i thought it won't go that well with a shade of maroon itself.(I have reduced the opacity of the liquid to achieve it.)
Also i didn't understand point 5 quiet clearly, negative suggests a different color(shade of maroon)? (you mean as in logo 6)
For you to compare between different designs i've included some of them.
and thank you for your kind words.
sci_ruby_anti_aliased_shadow_flask.svg

John Woods

Nov 16, 2017, 5:27:45 PM11/16/17
to sciru...@googlegroups.com
What do I mean by negative? Okay, so here's an example:

Suppose I wanted to add a bubble to this image. I'd make the bubble black if I added it to the white area. I'd make the bubble white if I added it to the black area. The bubble is thus a negative mask on the background color. So, if you put the bubble across a black–white boundary, the portion of it in the black area would be white, and the portion in the white area would be black.

In the case of the logo, the flask is the negative of the background. The liquid in the flask should be a negative of the flask (which makes it maroon). If you then have bubbles or a ruby in the liquid, they should be white; the bubbles outside the liquid should be maroon; and the bubbles crossing the boundary should be maroon and white.

I wouldn't add an additional shade of maroon just for the liquid. You lose too much contrast.

John Woods

Nov 16, 2017, 5:30:15 PM11/16/17
to sciru...@googlegroups.com
Here are two other examples. The first has no boundary crossings. The second has some.

Sameer Deshmukh

Nov 16, 2017, 11:12:07 PM11/16/17
to SciRuby Development
I think this version is superb. But why is the top part of the flask darker than the bottom part? The red bubbles look really nice and so does the border around the flask.

Abinash Meher

Nov 17, 2017, 12:47:58 AM11/17/17
to SciRuby Development
That effect is called score apparently(I am also learning :)). It's supposed to overlap as shown in the link. The site just prompted if I wanted that effect, so why not. I do agree that it looks off. From the material design guidelines they mention that it should be used only if the product icon is symmetrical. It's upto you if you want to to keep it or drop it.

This is how it looks when it is horizontal.

--
Regards,
Abinash Meher

sciruby_iconh1280.png

Pjotr Prins

Nov 17, 2017, 1:00:25 AM11/17/17
to sciru...@googlegroups.com
I like the new designs!

Abinash Meher

Nov 17, 2017, 1:07:10 AM11/17/17
to SciRuby Development
Kamal,

The later designs look great. Making the bubbles smaller was a good decision. The designs that have either bubbles or liquid look better than the ones that have both. Being more specific the top row looks better than the bottom row. For the one in the middle of top row, you might consider making the bubbles red as John suggested in the 5th point.

One more thing I wanted to point out is the base of `Sci` and `Ruby` seemed like that they don't align in one of the previous svgs that you sent. Just give it a look to confirm.

--
Regards,
Abinash Meher

Karthikeyan A K

Nov 17, 2017, 4:47:11 AM11/17/17
to sciru...@googlegroups.com
Looks good to me!

On Fri, Nov 17, 2017 at 11:17 AM, Abinash Meher <abinashda...@gmail.com> wrote:

Kamal Paneru

Nov 17, 2017, 5:46:12 AM11/17/17
to SciRuby Development
Thank you John for the clarification.
Considering all of the suggestions I tweaked the design a bit.
The top row consists of same design but with different shades of maroon(for ruby and bubbles which are used previously in the design itself).
same for the bottom(but only for ruby).
Have a look at it.
Looks good to me!
SciRuby.svg

Kamal Paneru

Nov 17, 2017, 5:52:20 AM11/17/17
to SciRuby Development
Thank you, Sameer. I don't see the top part of the flask being darker than bottom part... am I missing something?
Message has been deleted

Kamal Paneru

Nov 17, 2017, 8:22:08 AM11/17/17
to SciRuby Development
Hello John,
Is this what you've suggested?
Sciruby_negative.svg

Kamal Paneru

Nov 17, 2017, 9:02:59 AM11/17/17
to SciRuby Development
Abinash,
I noticed the problem in alignment..thanks for pointing it out.

Athitya Kumar

Nov 17, 2017, 9:13:27 AM11/17/17
to SciRuby Mailing List
Hey Kamal.

Thanks a lot for re-designing the logo. I really like the detailing given to the bubbles and the solution. :-)

 I've just two suggestions to point out -

(1) Could the text colors be changed to lighter colors (like white) that are contrasting to the red background? The black text on red background doesn't seem as easily visible.
(2) Would it be possible to provide a bit more detailing within the Ruby gem logo? This is utter nit-picking, but can something like this be done?

Regards,

Athitya Kumar (Facebook | LinkedIn | Homepage | Blog | GitHub
4th-year undergrad
IIT Kharagpur

Kamal Paneru

Nov 17, 2017, 10:35:08 AM11/17/17
to SciRuby Development
Hello, Athitya
The current color is 80% gray .In my opinion it doesn't look that good . Maybe a solid black(second logo)?
Also I am trying to keep the logo flat ..so those patterns were not possible.. I tried to do somethingwith the ruby.
As in previous logos ruby was not symmetrical its hard to draw those borders that look nice.so i designed another ruby ..hope you'll like it.
ps. the ruby is straight up because slanted looks like something else.
Sciruby_negative.svg

Kamal Paneru

Nov 17, 2017, 11:57:17 AM11/17/17
to SciRuby Development
Sciruby_negative.svg

John Woods

Nov 17, 2017, 12:15:33 PM11/17/17
to sciru...@googlegroups.com
I like these two the best so far:
image.png
image.png
For reasons I've already explained, I don't think it's a good idea to add detail to the ruby.

If I were going to favor one over the other it would be Abinash's version because the outline looks really good.

Kamal Paneru

Nov 18, 2017, 6:36:28 AM11/18/17
to SciRuby Development
Cool :D

Abinash Meher

Nov 22, 2017, 11:55:10 AM11/22/17
to SciRuby Development
Cool. Thanks! :) I believe we can combine the best parts of both into one. I will be able to do that by the end of this week.

--
Regards,
Abinash Meher

Abinash Meher

Nov 27, 2017, 1:41:08 PM11/27/17
to SciRuby Development
It's done! I took Kamal's updated svg and modified the color scheme.

--
Regards,
Abinash Meher

John Woods

Nov 27, 2017, 5:04:07 PM11/27/17
to sciru...@googlegroups.com
Beautiful. Anyone willing to update the SciRuby site design with the new branding?

Kamal Paneru

Nov 28, 2017, 12:03:42 PM11/28/17
to SciRuby Development
Looks GREAT!!!

Sameer Deshmukh

Jan 7, 2018, 7:58:59 AM1/7/18
to SciRuby Development
If the logo has been finalized I would like to update it on our web presence (github, twitter, etc.). Confirmations?

John Woods

Jan 9, 2018, 5:14:07 PM1/9/18
to sciru...@googlegroups.com
Yes, go ahead.

Sameer Deshmukh

Jan 19, 2018, 1:45:26 AM1/19/18
to SciRuby Development
Hi,

The logo has been updated on the website. Can someone with access to twitter and facebook please update on those channels as well?

John Woods

Jan 19, 2018, 10:47:53 AM1/19/18
to sciru...@googlegroups.com
And is anyone interested in making us a more integrated, professional design than the current default? :)