Biogem and Jeweller

Pjotr Prins

May 30, 2014, 11:48:59 AM5/30/14
to sciru...@googlegroups.com
When you have to create a new gem it can be helpful to use biogem - a
tool which creates all the necessary files and more. Biogem is
documented here:

http://biogems.info/howto.html

I tend to run biogem with

biogem --with-bin --rspec --cucumber --no-create-repo foo

or from the repo

bundle exec ./bin/biogem --with-bin --rspec --cucumber --no-create-repo foo

There are also switches for --ffi, databases etc.

Just play around a bit and see what gets generated.

Note that I will ask you later to try some cucumber in your project.
It is one of the interesting Ruby tools to have in your toolbox.

One word of warning, at this point a gem is created with the prefix
'bio-'. This is because we created it for bioinformaticians. After
generating the gem simply do a grep and replace those prefixes:

grep 'bio-' -r *
find -name 'bio-*'

it is a bit of work, but much less than discovering and wiring up
Gemspec's, Rake, rspecs etc. on your own.

Biogem is built on jeweler, a tool that can be used separately.

Pj.

John Woods

May 30, 2014, 11:51:25 AM5/30/14
to sciru...@googlegroups.com
If you want to build your own gem, here is a fairly minimal example:

If you are including your own C/C++ extension, look at NMatrix's Rakefile.