[GSOC] Rohit Ner

Rohit Ner

Apr 30, 2018, 10:18:01 AM4/30/18
to sciru...@googlegroups.com, Victor Shepelev, Sameer Deshmukh, athity...@gmail.com, shekharr...@gmail.com
Hello Everyone!

I want to thank you all for finding potential in my proposal 'Business Intelligence with daru'. I hope that the result of my work will be helpful to everyone! This is the link to my proposal.
I am a second-year undergraduate student in the Department of Mathematics at Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur. This summer, I will be working under the guidance of Victor, Athitya, and Shekhar. My first post can be found here. I request you all to give feedback on the blog post.

Best Regards
Rohit Ner
Second Year Undergraduate Student
Department of Mathematics
Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur

Rohit Ner

May 2, 2018, 4:36:09 AM5/2/18
to SciRuby Development
Hello Everyone!

Please have a look at my revised first post and the contributions before gsoc post.

Victor Shepelev

May 2, 2018, 9:37:30 AM5/2/18
to SciRuby Development
That's a nice post now, thank you for considering my notes.

Sameer, WDYT? I believe it is worth adding to SciRuby blog too, now.

Prasun Anand

May 2, 2018, 12:25:06 PM5/2/18
to SciRuby Mailing List
I agree with Victor.

It's a great blog post.

Regards,
Prasun

On Wed, May 2, 2018, 19:07 Victor Shepelev <zverok....@gmail.com> wrote:
That's a nice post now, thank you for considering my notes.

Sameer, WDYT? I believe it is worth adding to SciRuby blog too, now.
Hello Everyone!

Please have a look at my revised first post and the contributions before gsoc post.

Best Regards
Rohit Ner
Second Year Undergraduate Student
Department of Mathematics
Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur

Sameer Deshmukh

May 2, 2018, 9:28:04 PM5/2/18
to SciRuby Development
Great post. Please send this to the sciruby blog.

Shekhar Prasad Rajak

May 3, 2018, 9:33:24 AM5/3/18
to SciRuby Development
+1

Pjotr Prins

May 3, 2018, 4:49:37 PM5/3/18
to sciru...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Apr 30, 2018 at 02:17:48PM +0000, Rohit Ner wrote:

> Hello Everyone!
> I want to thank you all for finding potential in my proposal 'Business
> Intelligence with daru'. I hope that the result of my work will be
> helpful to everyone! [1]This is the link to my proposal.
> I am a second-year undergraduate student in the Department of
> Mathematics at Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur. This summer,
> I will be working under the guidance of Victor, Athitya, and Shekhar.
> My first post can be found [2]here. I request you all to give feedback
> on the blog post.
> Best Regards
> Rohit Ner

Hi Rohit,

What real business data are you thinking of using for your project? I
may have access to live automotive data. It could be interesting to munge
that into something else.

Pj.

Rohit Ner

May 4, 2018, 1:39:06 AM5/4/18
to sciru...@googlegroups.com
Hi Pjotr,

For the log processing part, I am planning to use log files of some apps that I'll run locally to get enough data and some sample log files from the internet. Please share your resources with me for experiments for the latter two parts of cleaning and analysis.

Rohit Ner

May 6, 2018, 10:26:01 PM5/6/18
to SciRuby Development
Hello Everyone!

I have started working on the log processing part (as per my proposal) and will be adding importers to daru-io by this weekend. I have some doubts which I want to clear on discourse forum.

Rohit Ner

May 14, 2018, 2:05:18 AM5/14/18
to sciru...@googlegroups.com
Hey Everyone,

I started to work on importing rails log last week through this PR which is open for review.
This week I am planning to add methods of generating metrics and their visualization to daru/view or probably a new gem. Link to the discussion.

Rohit Ner

May 19, 2018, 5:20:32 PM5/19/18
to sciru...@googlegroups.com
Hey Everyone,

Here is the blog post documenting the progress in daru-io during the last two weeks. Currently, I am working on PR#75. There were a lot of changes made after several reviews. There are still some issues(mentioned in the blog post) which I will try to address and sort in a few days. Please do give feedback on the blog post!

Prasun Anand

May 22, 2018, 8:50:06 AM5/22/18
to SciRuby Mailing List
Nice post Rohit!

It helped me learn a lot of tricks. The section "I need to find where this object came from" was very helpful for me.

Prasun

Rohit Ner

Jun 10, 2018, 9:10:57 PM6/10/18
to sciru...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,

I am sorry for not keeping you all updated. Here are the blog posts documenting my work for week 2 and week 3-4. As per the revised plan. I will be adding data cleaning methods to daru this week. I have floated this doc for proposing the methods and request everyone to provide their inputs through comments. Please do give feedback on the blog posts!

Rohit Ner

Jun 28, 2018, 12:02:05 AM6/28/18
to sciru...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,

Link to my blog post documenting the progress in last two weeks.

Victor Shepelev

Jul 2, 2018, 2:01:03 PM7/2/18
to SciRuby Development
Dear Rohit,

I understand that I am not the best mentor possible (unfortunately, I need to balance a lot of things in my work and life currently), but I want to point out that "waiting for mentor's review for PR for several days" is NOT a legitimate reason to do nothing in a meantime.

Remember you submitted for a full-time work during GSoC, and you should take this very seriously (as a real work). I noticed that for a week that I had no time to review a small 3-method "proposed methods" list you seem to have done nothing else. I imagined that by the time we discuss those method's signatures and precise behavior there would be an implementation, tests, docs, real-life use cases (we talked A LOT about how having many real examples "how it all will be used on this/that data" is crucial for moving forward).

I am taking full responsibility for being a less pushing mentor than it could've been possible, but I want you to clearly understand that my responsibility is your work's quality, while the quantity is totally on you.

I hope this is clear enough.

V.

Pjotr Prins

Jul 2, 2018, 2:19:22 PM7/2/18
to sciru...@googlegroups.com
Dear Rohit,

Can you respond to this? I agree with Victor that GSoC continues
whatever happens between student and mentor. You are expected to put
in 40 hrs per week. Can you prove you are doing that?

Pj.

On Mon, Jul 02, 2018 at 09:00:45PM +0300, Victor Shepelev wrote:
> Dear Rohit,
> I understand that I am not the best mentor possible (unfortunately, I
> need to balance a lot of things in my work and life currently), but I
> want to point out that "waiting for mentor's review for PR for several
> days" is NOT a legitimate reason to do nothing in a meantime.
> Remember you submitted for a full-time work during GSoC, and you should
> take this very seriously (as a real work). I noticed that for a week
> that I had no time to review a small 3-method "proposed methods" list
> you seem to have done nothing else. I imagined that by the time we
> discuss those method's signatures and precise behavior there would be
> an implementation, tests, docs, real-life use cases (we talked A LOT
> about how having many real examples "how it all will be used on
> this/that data" is crucial for moving forward).
> I am taking full responsibility for being a less pushing mentor than it
> could've been possible, but I want you to clearly understand that my
> responsibility is your work's quality, while the quantity is totally on
> you.
> I hope this is clear enough.
> V.
>
> чт, 28 июн. 2018 г. в 7:02, Rohit Ner <[1]rohi...@gmail.com>:
>
> Hello everyone,
> [2]Link to my blog post documenting the progress in last two weeks.
> Best Regards
> Rohit Ner
> Second Year Undergraduate Student
> Department of Mathematics
> Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur
>
> --
>
> References
>
> 1. mailto:rohi...@gmail.com
> 2. https://rohitner.github.io/2018/06/16/gsoc-week-5-6.html
> 3. mailto:sciruby-dev...@googlegroups.com
> 4. https://groups.google.com/d/optout
> 5. mailto:sciruby-dev...@googlegroups.com
> 6. https://groups.google.com/d/optout

Rohit Ner

Jul 2, 2018, 2:59:13 PM7/2/18
to sciru...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,

I am pretty aware from the beginning of the fact that I am in the driver's seat. I admit that I have been working a bit off the track since the last week. The reason being that I was spending some time with my family and friends, as it has been half a year after which I met them. I couldn't do much commits also because I am doing the rails tutorial alongside the implementations of the proposed methods (which are few and probably need less time as compared to the app which is my goal). I made the mistake of altering the plan on my own. I don't want to let you all down further and am effortful for gaining back my focus on the project.
I will be doing a quick implementation of the proposed methods as I have received feedback on them. I have already defined signatures for analysis methods which were to be done after cleaning part(will push it in a different branch immediately). I assure to do the implementations by this weekend and that the quantity of work is not compromised.