GSoC 2017: Creating the fastest math libraries for Ruby by using the GPU through OpenCL and ArrayFire.

Prasun Anand

Feb 27, 2017, 7:34:46 PM2/27/17
to SciRuby Development, Pjotr Prins, Charles Nutter, Alexej Gossmann
Hi,

GSoC 2017 is upon us ;)

I have been working on ArrayFire-rb and took a break for a while exploring "D"
( Long time, no C :=)   ).

I would like to continue working on the ArrayFire wrapper, a GPGPU library for GSoC 2017.
I have already created MRI bindings for 2D matrices.

For GSoC period, I feel these would be the major goals:

1. Work on the JRuby bindings and implement other features for MRI(n-dimensional matrices).
2. I would interface it with NMatrix and thus mixed_models.
3. The project would be centered around how efficiently can ArrayFire handle blog-data (real-life examples).
4. Test how ArrayFire-rb performs on Super Computers ( Max GFLOPS) ;)
5. By the end of GSoC, it would be great if I come up with some supercool examples using ArrayFire
    like an image recognition web app using ArrayFire.

Regards,
Prasun

John Woods

Mar 9, 2017, 11:48:20 AM3/9/17
to SciRuby Development, Pjotr Prins, Charles Nutter, Alexej Gossmann
Excellent. Glad to have you. :)

Charles Oliver Nutter

Mar 13, 2017, 1:50:35 PM3/13/17
to John Woods, SciRuby Development, Pjotr Prins, Alexej Gossmann
Looking forward to it!

- Charlie

Prasun Anand

Mar 25, 2017, 7:45:56 AM3/25/17
to SciRuby Development, pjot...@thebird.nl, hea...@headius.com, alex...@gmail.com, John Woods
Thanks John and Charles :)

I am working on my application and trying to be as clear as possible with my plan for
the summer.

Regards,
Prasun

Prasun Anand

Apr 9, 2017, 5:41:51 AM4/9/17
to SciRuby Development, pjot...@thebird.nl, hea...@headius.com, alex...@gmail.com, John Woods, Sameer Deshmukh
Hi,

Yesterday I ported ArrayFire to D.

All the features of ArrayFire were wrapped including Linear Algebra,
Computer Vision, Image Processing, etc. .

(OpenCL wrappers for D are available but they require a lot of effort
to work with[0],[1]).

I have opened a PR and it is awaiting a review[2]. Meanwhile, I am working on examples and tutorials to release it as a dub package.

I didn't use any tool to generate the bindings because the C APIs and
C++ APIs of ArrayFire were in the same header files. I learnt a lot
about organising the APIs. It was a great experience and would certainly
help with ArrayFire Ruby bindings.

I have also found that ArrayFire Julia is undergoing a rewrite as there
were bugs due to memory leaks[3]. I would therefore take be a lot
careful while handling memory management and I am currently studying
about it.

Regards,
Prasun