Re: Gsoc Matplotlib

Sameer Deshmukh

May 2, 2018, 8:34:49 AM5/2/18
to Arafat Khan, Pranav Garg, SciRuby Mailing List

I've posted the minutes of the meeting: https://discourse.ruby-data.org/t/matplotlib-project-discussion/37/7?u=v0dro

Arafat, hope to hear from you soon.

On Wednesday 02 May 2018 07:31 PM, Arafat Khan wrote:
Yes it works for me

On Wed, May 2, 2018, 2:56 PM Sameer Deshmukh <sameer.d...@gmail.com> wrote:
Is today at 2030 JST (1700 IST) ok for you?

Regards,
Sameer Deshmukh

On 02-May-2018, at 17:04, Arafat Khan <arafat....@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Sameer,
Thanks a lot for the response. We were actually concerned about how to go about making the project independent and perhaps
if we could have a small chat about it then it would be better. If you could spare some time after 4:40 PM IST today or tomorrow, I am up for it.
Regards,
Arafat

On Sun, Apr 29, 2018 at 8:13 PM, Arafat Khan <arafat....@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Sameer,
I and Pranav had a small chat over the phone call and we had a good time discussing the project. We are very concerned about making the project independent and I really find it hard to draw the line between how we are going to divide things. Also, I would very much like to work a lot during the community bonding period because I will be moving with my family a bit later and I think that it's best to use my time. Meanwhile, Pranav will be super busy with his exams so I wouldn't want to bother him.

I was wondering if you could help us out and maybe have a small chat to discuss a few things and project work, division and how we should proceed etc. I would prefer to have a chat on Monday, just tell us a time that is cool for you.

Regards,
Arafat

Sameer Deshmukh

May 2, 2018, 8:37:34 AM5/2/18
to Arafat Khan, Pranav Garg, SciRuby Mailing List

We still don't have a name for the library. Thoughts?

John Woods

May 2, 2018, 10:05:50 AM5/2/18
to sciru...@googlegroups.com, Arafat Khan, Pranav Garg
Hey all. I'm currently in Australia, by the way, so my timezones are all messed up right now. I'm sorry I didn't see the email in time; I would have definitely liked to have been in the meeting. If y'all can give me 24 hours notice in the future, I can usually sneak away from work for a bit.

We should not use Shoes. I tried writing a plotting GUI in Shoes a few years ago and it's just way out of date and has a lot of problems.

The backend needs to be written in C/C++. You can't not write the backend for a plotting tool in a compiled language and still have it be fast enough. I think the GR framework is probably still the best option — it's portable, it does 2D and 3D, it's already used by matplotlib and other languages, etc.

The minutes don't say why Imagemagick was selected. Can someone please explain why we think this is a better option than GR or AGG?

John

John Woods

May 2, 2018, 10:17:14 AM5/2/18
to sciru...@googlegroups.com, Arafat Khan, Pranav Garg
Ah, okay, I see the thing in Pranav's about the author of Agg having passed away. What about GR?

Arafat Khan

May 2, 2018, 10:19:06 AM5/2/18
to John Woods, sciru...@googlegroups.com, Pranav Garg
The current reason for favoring ImageMagick is  RMagick and it's super nice draw functions.

John Woods

May 2, 2018, 10:29:38 AM5/2/18
to Arafat Khan, sciru...@googlegroups.com, Pranav Garg
Okay. Sounds reasonable. Carry on. :)

Arafat Khan

May 2, 2018, 10:50:04 AM5/2/18
to John Woods, sciru...@googlegroups.com, Pranav Garg
It's really kinda easy to draw with a simple code on a plain canvas
So, for example, simple code like this draws a triangle

require ‘rubygems’
require ‘rmagick’
canvas = Magick::ImageList.new
canvas.new_image(250, 350, Magick::HatchFill.new(‘white’, ‘gray90’))
circle = Magick::Draw.new
circle.line(50,50, 50,200)
circle.line(50,200, 200,200)
circle.line(200,200, 50,50)
circle.draw(canvas)
canvas.write(‘hello.jpg’)

There are a lot of cool example scripts to help with the drawing process in the backend.

Victor Shepelev

May 2, 2018, 10:57:52 AM5/2/18
to SciRuby Development, John Woods, Pranav Garg
(Just to add 5c to the discussion, don't have my own strong opinions.)

RMagick is known to have some memory leaks/low-level problems. One of the modern alternatives is rubyvips. Besides it (which is kinda new-ish), RMagick is the only full-featured and well-supported Ruby drawing library.

Victor Shepelev

May 2, 2018, 11:02:15 AM5/2/18
to SciRuby Development, John Woods, Pranav Garg
(And Max Shemanarev, author of AGG, was a really nice guy and one of best developers I knew. Such a pity we don't have him around anymore.)