GSoC code submission call

Shekhar Rajak

Aug 11, 2018, 3:04:43 PM8/11/18
to SciRuby Mailing List, pochhi...@gmail.com, Arafat Khan, Pranav Garg, Prakriti Gupta, John Woods, Sameer Deshmukh, Athitya Kumar, Prasun Anand, Pjotr Prins, Victor Shepelev
Hello students,

We will be having code submission call on Monday (13th August 2018). In this call mentors just want to know, what are the tasks has been completed and/or has to be done in your project. Students can share their other ideas on the project as well.
Students can talk about their overall work briefly (it will be good if you just go through the link, you are/will be providing in your GSoC dashboard as your code submission).
This will help us to know about other projects  and new ideas of the students:)

Please vote for time in this doodle : https://doodle.com/poll/exxyavzxzvepieqe

Thanks and regards,
Contact : +91-8142478937, 7987406203
Skype: shekhar.rajak1

Shekhar Rajak

Aug 13, 2018, 4:41:41 AM8/13/18
to SciRuby Mailing List, pochhi...@gmail.com, Arafat Khan, Pranav Garg, Prakriti Gupta, John Woods, Sameer Deshmukh, Athitya Kumar, Prasun Anand, Pjotr Prins, Victor Shepelev
Hi,

I have set up the call at 22:15 PM IST and sent the invitation to all of you. Let me know if you haven't get the invitation.

We are looking forward to know about your impactful work and future plan for the project; also we will learn new (or newly added features in) SciRuby gems in this GSoC:)

Cheers,

Contact : +91-8142478937, 7987406203
Skype: shekhar.rajak1

Pranav Garg

Aug 13, 2018, 6:34:12 AM8/13/18
to Shekhar Rajak, SciRuby Mailing List, pochhi...@gmail.com, Arafat Khan, Prakriti Gupta, John Woods, Sameer Deshmukh, Athitya Kumar, Prasun Anand, Pjotr Prins, Victor Shepelev
Hey
Might I suggest that we use zoom.us for the conference call?
Sameer introduced it to me and it seems better for a conference call and screen sharing (I am assuming that we would be demonstrating our work along woth a slideshow). It does require a quick installation though.
Regards
Pranav Garg

Arafat Khan

Aug 13, 2018, 6:35:29 AM8/13/18
to Pranav Garg, shekharr...@gmail.com, SciRuby Mailing List, pochhi...@gmail.com, prakriti...@gmail.com, John Woods, Sameer Deshmukh, Athitya Kumar, Prasun Anand, Pjotr Prins, Victor Shepelev
Seconded
Zoom is pretty nice.

Sameer Deshmukh

Aug 13, 2018, 7:28:21 AM8/13/18
to Pranav Garg, Shekhar Rajak, SciRuby Mailing List, pochhi...@gmail.com, Arafat Khan, Prakriti Gupta, John Woods, Athitya Kumar, Prasun Anand, Pjotr Prins, Victor Shepelev

AFAIK there's some limit on the number of max users you can have in the free version, right?

--
Regards,
Sameer Deshmukh

Master's degree student. Rio Yokota Lab.
Tokyo Institute of Technology, Japan.

Twitter : @v0dro
GitHub: @v0dro
Blog: http://v0dro.in

Arafat Khan

Aug 13, 2018, 7:31:24 AM8/13/18
to Sameer Deshmukh, Pranav Garg, Shekhar Prasad Rajak, SciRuby Mailing List, Nilay Pochhi, Prakriti Gupta, John Woods, Athitya Kumar, Prasun Anand, Pjotr Prins, Victor Shepelev
image.png

Sameer Deshmukh

Aug 13, 2018, 7:32:38 AM8/13/18
to Arafat Khan, Pranav Garg, Shekhar Prasad Rajak, SciRuby Mailing List, Nilay Pochhi, Prakriti Gupta, John Woods, Athitya Kumar, Prasun Anand, Pjotr Prins, Victor Shepelev

Ah ok no problem then. Can everyone setup zoom.us before the meeting in that case? It will require installation of a native app on your OS.

Pjotr Prins

Aug 13, 2018, 8:12:53 AM8/13/18
to Sameer Deshmukh, Arafat Khan, Pranav Garg, Shekhar Prasad Rajak, SciRuby Mailing List, Nilay Pochhi, Prakriti Gupta, John Woods, Athitya Kumar, Prasun Anand, Victor Shepelev
On Mon, Aug 13, 2018 at 08:32:30PM +0900, Sameer Deshmukh wrote:
> Ah ok no problem then. Can everyone setup zoom.us before the meeting in that
> case? It will require installation of a native app on your OS.

Hi all,

I am not going to install zoom. It is a propietary binary which won't
run on my GNU systems.

Sorry.

Lately I have been using http://appear.in/ with good success. It works
better than hangout over bad connections in my experience. I can open
a room for us if no one objects. Be a nice stress test.

Pj.

Sameer Deshmukh

Aug 13, 2018, 8:13:50 AM8/13/18
to Pjotr Prins, Arafat Khan, Pranav Garg, Shekhar Prasad Rajak, SciRuby Mailing List, Nilay Pochhi, Prakriti Gupta, John Woods, Athitya Kumar, Prasun Anand, Victor Shepelev
I'm okay with it. Lets try something new.

Sameer Deshmukh

Aug 13, 2018, 12:50:02 PM8/13/18
to Pjotr Prins, Arafat Khan, Pranav Garg, Shekhar Prasad Rajak, SciRuby Mailing List, Nilay Pochhi, Prakriti Gupta, John Woods, Athitya Kumar, Prasun Anand, Victor Shepelev
Shekhar and Athitya we are waiting for you.

Regards,
Sameer Deshmukh

Sameer Deshmukh

Aug 13, 2018, 12:58:27 PM8/13/18
to Pjotr Prins, Arafat Khan, Pranav Garg, Shekhar Prasad Rajak, SciRuby Mailing List, Nilay Pochhi, Prakriti Gupta, John Woods, Athitya Kumar, Prasun Anand, Victor Shepelev

Athitya Kumar

Aug 13, 2018, 2:38:00 PM8/13/18
to Sameer Deshmukh, Pjotr Prins, Arafat Khan, Pranav Garg, Shekhar Prasad Rajak, SciRuby Mailing List, Nilay Pochhi, Prakriti Gupta, John Woods, Prasun Anand, Victor Shepelev
Hey all.

Sorry for joining a tad bit late and the crazy/freaky mic for the first couple of seconds. I just figured out that my Bluetooth speaker was the culprit responsible for the same - even though I had actually connected explicitly to my headphones. :-/

So, one thing I just remembered after this video-call: shouldn't we tell our students about the blog post that has to be written on the SciRuby blog? We can also probably share these blog posts on social media platforms, to increase the reach of SciRuby online.

Also, I'll let you all know about the Kharagpur Winter of Code that Arafat was talking about, when they announce the program for December 2018. :-)

Regards,

Athitya Kumar (Facebook | LinkedIn | Homepage | Blog | GitHub
5th-year undergrad
IIT Kharagpur

Shekhar Rajak

Aug 14, 2018, 6:45:23 AM8/14/18
to Sameer Deshmukh, Athitya Kumar, Pjotr Prins, Arafat Khan, Pranav Garg, SciRuby Mailing List, Nilay Pochhi, Prakriti Gupta, John Woods, Prasun Anand, Victor Shepelev
Hi,

I think, few students have already opened PR in sciruby.com repo , at the starting of GSoC coding period. They can improve previous blog and write another one as final output after the GSoC, with their next plan.

P.S. Even I joined the call late because of the busy day and disconnected 3-4 times during the call. I did not watch all the demo/presentations properly but I am curious to read the blog posts in sciruby.com for this GSoC.

Cheers,
Contact : +91-8142478937, 7987406203
Skype: shekhar.rajak1

Sameer Deshmukh

Aug 14, 2018, 6:46:55 AM8/14/18
to Shekhar Rajak, Athitya Kumar, Pjotr Prins, Arafat Khan, Pranav Garg, SciRuby Mailing List, Nilay Pochhi, Prakriti Gupta, John Woods, Prasun Anand, Victor Shepelev

Yes. I'm planning to read the blogs soon.

No problem Shekhar. Your work so far has been stellar.