[GSOC] Welcome aboard, students!

Sameer Deshmukh

Apr 24, 2018, 5:06:01 AM4/24/18
to SciRuby Mailing List, Pjotr Prins, John Woods, pochhi...@gmail.com, Athitya Kumar, Shekhar Prasad Rajak, Prasun Anand, Arafat Khan, Pranav Garg, rohi...@gmail.com, Prakriti Gupta
Hello students!

Congratulations on your selection to GSOC 2018. Before we start with the
community bonding period, I'd like to set some ground rules that all of
you are expected to follow through the summer.

I have written most of what you need to know in this gist:
https://gist.github.com/v0dro/eeb6889cc4ae641211229941d5ad6fbd

Read the gist _carefully_ and get back to us if you have any doubts.

I will be sending personal mails to some students who have exceptional
requirements from some of their projects. Please wait for my mail.

--
Regards,

******************************
Sameer Deshmukh
Master's Student,
Tokyo Institute of Technology,
Tokyo, Japan
Twitter: @v0dro
GitHub: https://github.com/v0dro/
Website: https://v0dro.in/
Email: deshmu...@m.titech.ac.jp (University)
Email: sameer.d...@gmail.com (Personal)
******************************

Shekhar Rajak

Apr 24, 2018, 6:22:51 AM4/24/18
to SciRuby Mailing List, Sameer Deshmukh, Pjotr Prins, John Woods, pochhi...@gmail.com, Athitya Kumar, Prasun Anand, Arafat Khan, Pranav Garg, rohi...@gmail.com, Prakriti Gupta
Hello,

Congratulations on being accepted for the Google Summer of Code 2018 to work on SciRuby projects.  I personally believe that students must write blog post about their 'contributions before GSoC' and how they learnt the codebase and got impressive ideas for the GSoC proposal. It will be helpful for you to refer your previous works and future students as well. Mentors will always check the progress so keep reporting to mentors.

I hope to witness an amazing and learning summer with all of you. Keep committing :)

Regards,
Contact : +918142478937, 7987406203
Skype: shekhar.rajak1

Athitya Kumar

Apr 25, 2018, 9:23:44 AM4/25/18
to Nilay Pochhi, Arafat Khan, rohi...@gmail.com, Pranav Garg, Prakriti Gupta, SciRuby Mailing List, Sameer Deshmukh, Pjotr Prins, John Woods, Prasun Anand, Shekhar Rajak
Hey students.

Hearty congratulations to all of you for getting selected in GSoC 2018 with Ruby Science Foundation. :-)

Adding on to the checklist mentioned by Sameer and Shekhar, I'd suggest maintaining a dedicated thread (for each student) on the mailing list where you can add a brief summary of your progress every 2-3 days. That way, it becomes easier to micro-manage students and identify potential bottlenecked weeks before it's too late. And do positively send in the blog post before 30th April 2018. Also, for the benefit of the community, feel free to shoot a really short mail just introducing yourself and your project on the mailing list.

Congrats again, and welcome abode. :-)

Regards,

Athitya Kumar (Facebook | LinkedIn | Homepage | Blog | GitHub
4th-year undergrad
IIT Kharagpur